Question for Astorlite V users

Well I finally got around to trying out this wax for votives and tarts but had a hard time with it. My supplier instructions said to melt to 180-add color and fo-then pour. It took forever to melt in the presto pot and when the thermometer showed 180 it didn't look completely melted so I upped it to 190 and looked better. When I ladeled into pour pot and added fo, it started to harden! Then when I poured into molds, I barely had time to insert wick. It was almost like sludge and cleanup was a bear. I have never worked with this wax (I use a soy/par blend) so any input would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

Hi Juggy! I do melts, not votives, with this wax. I find it takes a very high melt point to work with, closer to 200 degrees, and it skins over very quickly. I use a metal funnel to pour the melts, from a coffee can in a double boiler. I have to pre-heat the funnel so the wax does not build up on it. I use my heat gun for this. As far as cleanup, I put everything on an old cookie sheet covered in paper towels and pop it into the oven at 190 degrees, then wipe down with more paper towels. Sometimes I use a heat gun for spot cleanup. Be extra careful as it is easy to get a burn off the hot equipment at this temp. I don't use pour pots yet so I don't know if the handle can take the heat?

I love the throw I get from this wax although I have read some people did not have that same result with votives. I don't make votives but if you used wick pins, wouldn't that take care of the wick problem? The other thing I love about this wax is that it looks great after just one pour. For me, the positives outweigh the negatives. HTH. Coconut

Thanks for the reply Coconut. I will heat to 200 next time. I did prewarm the pour pot (glass pyrex measuring cup) but don't think I heated it enough. So I assume after you heat to 200, you add dye and fragrance and pour immediately?