Easy Hair Conditioner Recipe

CBE

Since this board has given me so much, I figure it's time to give back. This is my recipe for the hair conditoner I make. I only make it for the family (and a few good customers that I appreciate ;) ) DH loves this to condition his goatee too. :) It's not a super heavy conditioner, but it's very moisturizing. I have short hair (trying to grow it out again) and it conditions nicely without weighing it down. My sis uses a tiny dab of it as a leave in conditioner also. (I personally haven't tried it this way)

Tweak it till your hearts content... experiment, take out stuff... add stuff... whateva makes you happy! lol To come up with this recipe, I took a lotion/cream recipe and just tweaked it big time to have it more suited for the hair.

Honey & Egg Protein Hair Conditioner

This makes about 13 oz. of product (or around 370 g)

When making small amounts, I like to measure in grams. :)

Phase A

Water or Aloe Juice 270g

Glycerin/or Hydrovance 25g

Honey 8g.

Powdered Egg 1/4 teapsoon

Phase B

Monoi de Tahiti Oil 40g

Mango Butter 15g

BTMS 30g

Polysorbate 80 15g.

Phase C

Cyclomethicone & Dimethiconol 15g.

(also known as LC1401DC at Lotioncrafter)

Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein 12g

Hydrolyzed Oat Protein 12g

Hydrolyzed Liquid Silk 5g.

Peservative 5g.

I use Germall Plus and/or LiquaPar Optima, use whatever perservative you choose to use, just use it at the correct amounts

Fragrance Oil (optional)

If you use scented Monoi Oil, the natural scent will definitely come out in the finished product, so you may choose to not use FO

Use regular lotion-making practices when making.

Phase A- Weigh out water/aloe juice, glycerin/hydrovance, and honey. Heat and hold.

(while Phase A is heating, I usually weigh Phase B ingredients)

After heating Phase A, add egg powder to heated water and stir to incorporate (or use your SB). You can add a little more egg powder if you desire, but too much will give you a stinky product. So I stick with the 1/4 tsp.

PhaseB- Weigh and melt Monoi Oil, Mango Butter, BTMS, and Poly 80.

Once Phase B is melted, slowly add it to Phase A, SB to incorporate and to emulsify. I usually SB every 10-15 minutes or so until cooled. Once your conditioner is cooled down and thick,(warm to the touch) it's time to add Phase C ingredients.

Phase C- Weigh Cyclomethicone & Dimethiconol, Wheat Protein, Oat Protein, Liquid Silk, Perservative, and FO (if you choose to use FO).

Add Phase C ingredients to conditioner. These are added last because they are heat sensitive.

SB to incorporate.

I usually let it fully cool down and get to room temp before I bottle. To bottle, just pour conditioner into a zip loc baggie, close, snip one of the bottom corners, and squirt into bottles.

You can use any oil/butters you may want. I've used Monoi, Apricot Kernel Oil, Mango Butter, Shea Butter, Rice Bran Oil... or you can even use Coconut Oil. Experiment with what you have on hand.

If you don't want to add the powdered egg or honey, you don't have to. I just use it for the added protein (and I LOVE honey).

Let me know if you try it!!

:yay: