Lotion Base Smell

juliejak

:confused: Hello all! I have been working diligently on a lotion base. I have tried several recipes, but end up with a base smell that is hard to cover up with FO. I always end up smelling it over the FO. Any suggestions?? Here is the ingredients I have been using, can you tell me what might cause this and can I replace it?

I have requests for a plain lotion with no fragrance. Thank you again you guys are so helpful to us newbies!!

1st Batch

Distilled WaterSweet Almond OilWheat Germ OilOat OilMango ButterGlycerinStearic Acid (Vegetable Base)EwaxLiquaparCyclomethiconeAllantoin

2nd batch

Sweet Almond Oil

Jojoba OIl

Grapeseed Oil

Wheatgerm Oil

Stearic Acid

EWax

Kokum butter

citric acid

glycerin

wheat protein

liquipar

Is it the same overpowering smell with each batch? I'm guessing, from looking at your ingredients that it's your almond oil and/or wheatgerm oil, since those are common ingredients in both recipes. Could they be old oils? Does either smell particularly strong by itself before adding it to the lotion? Even though they might be brand new to you, sometimes suppliers have been known to sell products that aren't exactly the freshest available.

If it were me, I would try making a much smaller sample batch and leave out the wheatgerm oil and see it that helps. If the smell is the same, try it again without the almond oil.

I order a base, but it takes about a week for the "Halloween makeup" smell to disappear and the FO to shine through. It doesn't detail anything needs done, but I tend to wait it out.

How long has this stuff been made up?

Thank you so much for your input! I guess I will have to go back and check recipes. The 2nd batch didn't smell as badly as the first. I will follow your suggestions and see what happens. Many of the ingredients are powder so I really can't stick my head in a bag of Stearic Acid and take a snoot full to see if that's it! :grin2:

Julie

I always just assume it's the preservative and that it's a necessary evil.

Perhaps someone with more experience could chime in on whether LiquaPar has an offensive smell or not and what preservatives are effective and odorless (the "Holy Grail" of preservatives, I'm sure... :( )