Sterilize Jars & Lids

pebbles

Ok, this is a ditz question, but how do you sterilize jars (double wall, etc.) & lids? I mean, do you just put them in boiling water for so long? If so, how long? Wasn't sure if that will mess up their shapes/sizes.

Many moons ago, when I got white double walled jars for the first time, I decided to boil them all to sterilize them. & guess what? When I looked in the pot, I had less jars than when I started. Not only did most of them melt & warp, some just disintegrated altogether & were gone! So I don't suggest boiling them:laugh2:

If you truly feel the need to sanitize them, just dip them in a bleach solution, rinse and allow to dry. However, I really don't think it's at all necessary. The only time I sanitize anything is when I make lotion, which is not very often for that very reason. :rolleyes2

I use straight rubbing alcohol, if I need to clean or sterilize anything. Less stinky IMO than bleach, dries up quicker too. It's not quite as harsh as bleach, but it gets the job done and REALLY does great cleaning up messes from FO's, spilled lotions, etc.