Exploding soap :0

I decided to make another batch of OHP tonight because the girl who does my nails wants a bar of the same soap I OHPed the last time but forgot the FO in. I figured it was as a good a reason to 'fix' my issue and make some more soap. :yay:

So I repeat the process this time not and remember to put the the sugar in the lye water, grab my NEW SB and have at it till a pretty good trace then pop it in the oven, set the time for 30min and proceed to start dinner.

I pop open the oven to have a peek 20mins into cook time and OMG its done volcanoed right up and out over the sides of the pot. I quick stick my spoon in and quell the bubbles.

I grab the roll of wax paper n rip off a sheet and put it on the oven door before I pull out the rack with the dripping pan. Grab the tongs to lift the element and a silicon spatula to scoop up all the half cooked batter off the bottom of the oven. I'd lost almost half my batter.:( I clean the mess up as well as I can and pop the soap pan back in the oven to finish cooking. No reason to waste the good stuff in the pot;)

less than 20 minutes later I check the pot its in complete gel and passes the zap and bubble test. I pop it on the stove top, SCENT IT:grin2: color and marble it and pop it in my modified log mold (put in a small piece of foamcore to act as a stop for the now smaller batch. :embarasse

So far so good, looks like I got the amount of color for the smaller batch about right, and its sitting and cooling as I type. Guess I'm going to have to wait till morning to see how it really is.

Now this leaves me scratching my noggin:confused:. WTF happened here. was it the sugar? should be 1tbs pp right? I didn't erupt before when I forgot the sugar. I even made sure I used the same recipe (lard vs. shortenin') While I'm a lil lost, I'm dying for it too cool. the scent (ginger peach) is wafting out of the kitchen and i'm :drool:

oh and another question. I have some 'young coconut juice' as its labeled on the can. If I use this straight as my only liquid, will it discolor? or would it be better to use it 1/2 h2o and 1/2cj, putting the lye in the h20?

Yikes! That's no fun. :( Luckily, I've never had that to happen. I have had a couple of close calls with my crock pot though. Sounds like a big mess to clean up. I use sugar to help the batch more fluid. If I leave it out of my HP batches, I can really tell the difference. And the sugar is also supposed to help with the lather.

I'm looking at the remainder of the mess in the bottom of the oven as an excuse to clean the thing, plus all I'm going to need is a hot wet rag to do it :)

CB, it was used in AJs OHP lesson/tutorial. Like Donna said, it's supposed to help with fluidity and making it easier to mold.

I may have to mess with my amount of sugar, maybe something along the lines of 1tsp pp. I liked that with it it cooked faster, but with the amt in this batch, I didn't like the volcano effect, though my son thought it was awesome