Anchoring a freestanding canopy?

I'm curious as to how some of you might anchor a small canopy, when you are on concrete that can't be altered.

I'm going to have a single parking space type area this weekend and would like to shield out the sun, but can't think of anything other than heavy cinder blocks which is not an option.

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know!!!

TIA!!! :yay:

I don't use a tent, yet because I am only in inside venues...but I already had this one planned out....so maybe ya'll can tell me if it will work...lol. I was going to get flower pots, the large ones that look like stone, use plaster of paris or concrete in the bottom, put a pole in that is a bit bigger than the tent bottom (basically you are going to have to insert the tent pole into this pole when it is time to use it so make sure that your tent pole will easily insert into that pole in the bucket) drill holes in the poles to put a long lag bolt with a washer through it so that when the wind blows, the tent pole doesn't fly out of the "extra" pole. I figured if I put concrete on the bottom, then plaster of paris on top, I could stick fake flowers in the laster of paris, and cover the paster of paris with moss to make it look like a real flower pot....Sounds like a lot of work, but I don't really think it is as hard as it sounds.

Thanks for the tip Mary! :) I would personally be concerned about staking a tent, although, it would robably be the most effective, I would be worried someone would trip over the spikes, stakes, or the cords going from the stake to the tent. People are just looking for a reason to sue, and it wouldn't be that they would want to sue you, per se, but they could rightfully sue the venue, which is probably why a lot of them are prohibiting staking of any kind. I know there are a lot of people who have fretted over what to do about their tent...I know the places online that sell Easyup tents and canopies also sell real tent weights, I think something like $45 for 4 of them. Does anyone have them? I would be curious to know if they are anything more than glorified sandbags.

I made weights for my tent that hang by a tarp strap (at least that's what my truck-driving family calls them - LOL). It's 3" pvc pipe abt 2ft long, and I filled it with quick-krete (alternated with water). once full, inserted a huge eye-screw that the tarp strap would fit through, and let the concrete set. they're about 25lb each and work great. and since they hang, I don't have to worry about anyone tripping over anything.

I just bought a new tent. My EZUp bit the dust because we have used it in our backyard for picnics and left it up most of the summer...not a good idea. I bought a Caravan with sides but not the weights. My husband did the PVC pipe thing with sand and it held up great last Saturday at a show with lots of wind...and gusts over 30MPH.

The people that did not have weights were either holding on to their tents or they took them down.

Oh and he used velcro and we strapped them around the legs so they wouldn't swing in the wind.

Maggie

Darci, I am very interested in your idea!! So, the pvc pipe (what size is it around) and it just hangs from the tent vertically? Hmmm...I might have to try this! It makes perfect sense! My mom and I were trying to figure out how to keep the table cloths from blowing up on the tables and we decided to make a wide enough hem in them that we could insert concrete rebar (some might not know what that is, but it is a steel rod that goes in concrete, it comes smaller than a twizzler but it is strong) Anyway, mom said we wouldn't have to use the whole length of rebar, just cut it in pieces, insert it into the hem of the tablecloth and voila! No more flying tablecloth.

Now Maggie, did your husband use velcro down the whole length of the pole? Or only just a little stick of it here and there? (I am a detail freak...sorry ya'll) Thanks for the great ideas!