what makes soap trace to fast.

lbtddr

i made the soap with the yellow milk.it got thick so fast i did not no if i got it all mixed. my color did not mix right. but it seems ok this mourning. havent cut it yet. one of my kids is great at that. i end up with odd shaped bars when i try.what makes it come to trace so fast. my soap i made the other day took a long time. it got thick befor i adeed scent.does some oils make it to thick.i had 20%coconut and 5 percent castor oil witch i had 10% coconut befor and castor oil at trace only. would this do it.or is it the milk when i used water before.

Did you use an fo? Some fos will cause trace faster than others. Like lilacs are notorious for causing a fast trace. Even some "spicier" fos will do that too. Some oils can affect that too. A castille soap will take forever to trace. When I use safflower oil, it takes for ever to get trace. I use 15% co and 5% castor in my recipes (along with other oils and butters) and don't usually have problems unless its the fo. What other oils did you use? Mostly my oils have caused a slower traced so I don't have much experience with oils causing a faster trace. :confused:

Most of my oils are supposedly fast tracers, so I'm just the opposite. I've always thought of trace as the creation of the soap molecules - some oils break apart faster and react with the lye easier than others.

Temperature can do it too - more heat can speed up the reaction. Also, if you're too cool, you can get a false trace - where your hard oils are solidifying back up. Sometimes if you keep stirring a false trace will smooth out again.

Usually it's a fragrance that gets you. Haven't a clue what's in a fragrance that causes seizing and whatnot.

ok i think it might have been the heat. i just couldnt wait any more. my oils was a little hot my lye was fine. thought it would be ok. next time i will wait till it reaches 100 for my oils.i should wait till weekends to make soap.i got it cut it looks ok. lathers great so the oils i added must have helped that.wasnt sure i got my trace oils mixed good. i guess it all worked out.