Safety question

Can ANY warmer/melting device make the glass of a wickless container candle so hot that it would break if water spattered on it or was touched by a damp cloth?

p.s. this question is not meant to start a debate about consumer intelligence and the dumb things we do. We all have our reasons for our choices whether good idea gone bad in practice or some fluke event that no one can anticipate.

I was looking at the candle gallery, in particular some glass container candles, and my mind started to put a couple of facts together that made me pose this safety question.

For wickless, tin FO samplers (as I call them) that I made a couple years ago, I use a warmer/melter in our 1/2 bathroom, which can only be placed right next to the sink since the counter is so small. For our living situation, the 1/2 b.r. is the safest place 'cuz (1) we use the 1/2 b.r. so seldom, (2) the cats have no desire to explore when no one is in it, & (3) it's the most centrally located room on that level that is not adversely affected by air currents when front door & back sliding glass door are open.

My experience from breaking glass comes from putting a glass cassarole lid over a stove burner in which the lid heated up while the oven was turned on. It just so happened that I used a damp oven mitt to move the lid, and it shattered! I'm assuming the glass lid shattered because the damp mitt was cooler in temp than the hot lid.

So, seeing the wickless candle someone made in glass, and thinking of my own situation & experience, I began to wonder about the safety issue of glass on a melter coming into contact with water, whether water spatter comes from a sink, a damp cloth or some other source.

Hmmm this is a very good question! Well I use a open mouth Kerr canning Jar and a warmer and it is hot enough to melt the wax (keep in mind canning jars can go from hot to cold usually with no problems) HOWEVER I dont recommend that you put it near water OR use a cold cloth to wipe it as it CAN and probably WILL shatter just like any other jar will.

We had someone that had posted a pic of a canning jar that shattered from a warmer and it wasnt near water or anything like that,,,you must be VERY VERY careful. I hope this helped a little bit. Im sure someone else will chime in too,,,:grin2:

Can ANY warmer/melting device make the glass of a wickless container candle so hot that it would break if water spattered on it or was touched by a damp cloth?

To answer accurately, one would have to know exactly how hot ANY warmer/melting device could become AND whether the glass container had any stress in the glass...

There has been a lot of discussion about the use of glass containers for wickless candles/melts and its relative safety. (search for "wickless" and look for the long threads). Some folks use and sell them, some folks don't.

I don't suggest glass containers for use in direct heat applications at all. Tins are a safer alternative. The type of warmers that radiate heat from above seem to be the safest for glass containers. HTH

Hot glass and water are super bad combos.

I remember when I was younger. I was heating something on the stove in a Pyrex. Rice I believe. I dropped like 2 drops of water in it, and KABOOM.... glass shattered everywhere, including my face. :shocked2:

I was surprised, because Pyrex is heat safe to like 500 degrees or more.

So you can imagine cheap glass getting heated to the same degree and the outcome.

To answer accurately, one would have to know exactly how hot ANY warmer/melting device could become AND whether the glass container had any stress in the glass...

There has been a lot of discussion about the use of glass containers for wickless candles/melts and its relative safety. (search for "wickless" and look for the long threads). Some folks use and sell them, some folks don't.

I don't suggest glass containers for use in direct heat applications at all. Tins are a safer alternative. The type of warmers that radiate heat from above seem to be the safest for glass containers. HTH