Tealight Warmer Question

I usually use and sell electric warmers for tarts, but bought a dozen tealight warmers for an upcoming craft show. In testing the warmer, I got a very quick, great scent throw. I had to leave after a couple of hours so I blew out the tealight. When I relit it, I never got a good throw again and after about an hour I noticed the wax (from the tart--not the tealight) was smoking!

I wondered if the wax might have gotten too hot and burned off the fragrance quickly, because my tarts usually last a couple of days in electric warmers, so I took the temperature of the wax and it was 210°F. It seems that is probably too hot--does anyone know or have more information about this?

When I bought the warmers, the owner asked me if I had DPG to cut the fragrance oils in the warmer, and I told him I was planning to use them for tarts. This makes me think perhaps they would be better used for oils and I might need to get some small bottles and DPG to sell oils with them. Do you know if you can use higher temperature with oils than with tarts?

TIA,

Jane

I have found that unless the tealight tart warmers are high that this problem occurs. I am always telling people who buy my tarts to make sure that they burn them in a warmer with sufficient height to prevent overheating of the wax.

I knew not to get one that was too close to the bowl, and chose this one because it looked like it would be okay, but I don't believe there's 4 inches--maybe 3-1/2 inches between the base and the bowl.

I think I may just ditch these because I don't want to add making tealights to my chores--I don't believe my cheap clientele would be willing to pay what I would want to charge for my trouble!

Thanks for the help,

Jane

I probably will hold them and try that--I don't have any DPG (should have picked some up when the owner asked me if I had any!!). Wish I had gotten some because I'll bet the bottled oils might have sold better than tarts at my upcoming show. But right now I don't need to place any more orders for a while--slightly overdid last week!

Thanks for the suggestion.

Jane

• 2 weeks later...

I could be totally wrong about this, I've never worked with DPG, but from my understanding DPG lowers the flashpoint. May want to research that a bit more.

We used tealights with the same results you had, a bit of smoking. There are every size imaginable warmers, once we got a larger one, the smoking stopped. Keep in mind tho, you can't control what your customers are using as warmers. Maybe a larger tart would mean more substance in the bowl and it wouldn't get so hot?

Could it be candle nose? I had a tealight warmer going with a melt in it that had been burned through 3 or 4 tealights. I noticed I couldn't smell it, so blew it out, figuring I'd replace it. The doorbell rings, and its the neighbor, he never even stepped inside, and the first thing he said was "WOW your house smells soooo good!!" The warmer was around a corner and about 15-20 feet from the door. I was just so used to the smell that I couldn't smell it at all.

LOL it happens! I'll forget I have the warmer going because *I* can't smell it anymore and then someone will come over and I'll get the same response you did. It takes me a minute to think 'wth is it they're smelling?!' then *LIGHTBULB!* LOL

ReneeM, you're right--I have no control at all over what customers do! The bowl in this warmer wouldn't be big enough for a larger tart; that's actually the reason I bought them--because they would be perfect for the mini-melt size of clamshell sections.

I plan to get some DPG in the next coupld of weeks and will try the oils--if it works, I'll tell people these warmers are only for oils, not tarts.

And yes, I never smell anything in my house except when it's fresh. At a show we did this weekend, my daughter was telling a customer that she smells my house from the driveway!!

Try the oils in it and watch closely. When I tested my oils in a smaller warmer they smoked bad. Once I put them in a larger one, they were fine. I hate those small warmers now, took me forever to figure out that it wasn't something I was or wasn't doing, it was the warmer itself. :angry2: