"Cutting Costs"... Literally!

OverSoyed

In this business, cutting your costs should always be on the front burner. The idea is, to cut your costs, without sacrificing the quality of your products. With candles in particular, I have found many cost cutting ways, that can lower the overall cost of your products substantially.

One trick that I have found to be useful is with wicking. Votives for example, depending on the wicks you choose, you can save up to 50% of the cost. I've been purchasing my votive wicking, pre-tabbed and waxed, 6" long. Standard votives use only 3" of wicking. So after I push my wicks through, I use a nail clipper (a great handy tool) to cut them to length, and save the spare 3". I then use 20mm wick tabs (purchased by the lb) and rewick them. This can cut your wick costs in half, as low as $.02 each.

I also use cello bags for my votives. To tie them, I picked up iridescent twist ties on clearance at Pat Catan's (50 for $.52). Rather than having a huge tie on each votive, I cut them down (with my handy nail clipper) to 2" rather than 6", making 150 ties in total, for only 1/3 of a cent each.

It isn't very time consuming, as I'm sure a lot will say. If it takes an hour to do simple things, and you save $10.00 or so, I think it is well worth it. If your time is too valuable, these are some easy things that a child or teen could do for you. Toss them a buck or two, so they feel involved in the business process. It's a good learning lesson, and a great savings at the same time.