Mosaic Tiles

Cindys

Has anyone ever worked with mosaic tiles. I really have a bad itch to try this. Any advice, or good places to buy these. I would like to work with the ceramic tiles. I have read about making this. I really would appreciate any help.. Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hi Cindy,

I have played very little but I have a girlfriend who mosaics everything and has a gallery in NC...I think an easy way to start is by getting the basic supplies of mortar and grout and then pick up a few terra cotta pots and then colorful dishes, cups etc from garage sales and break them up; acquire some flat round colorful stones from a craft store and then practice on the terra cotta pots or stepping stones.....both most people can use around the house....you may find out how creative you can be..

HTH,

Trish

Most craft stores have the small glass or stone tiles. There are a lot of other larger supplies online that would have a better selection.

If you want to save that step all together... head to the flea market and pick up some old glass bottles, cobalt, amber, so on... find yourself a durable hammer, an old pillow case, and get to wackin! :laugh2:

The cobalt (Phillips Milk of Mag) bottles look great. We used them to make walkway pavers. When the sun hits it... sparkles for the whole block!

• 2 weeks later...

You can also go to your local Lowe's, Home Depot, etc., and check out tiles they have on clearance. They often have oddball pieces at good discounts--especially those tiny tiles on a sheet. Some tile stores or hardware stores will sell, or give you tile samples so you don't have to buy a whole carton.

I have seen some very nice mosaics made from china plates and cups that were purchased at thrift stores, so that may be something to keep in mind also.

• 2 weeks later...

If it's tiles you want to work with, eBay has many good sources for classic mosaic tiles, vitreous glass, etc. I make mosaic stuff from many different media for tesserae. You can also use broken pieces of china (pique assiette), broken tiles (any kind), stained glass scraps, etc. Glass-on-glass mosaics are very pretty, pretty easy and can be made groutless or grouted.

What are you wanting to make? If you have an idea, it would be easier to guide you toward sources for materials and information... :D