cored wicks-others numbers mean much?

When looking @ wicks sizes -how much difference does the 2nd or 3rd number makes. I know that the 2nd # tightness of braid & 3rd is temp of wax w/ machine....for example zinc: 44-20-18 and 44-24-18 & 44-28-18 all say good for 2-3" dia. but is it a big difference w/ how tight a wick is braided (2nd number) and how exactly is "18" goind to tell me the temp of the wax? :confused:

I'm absolutely no expert in the exact meaning of all the numbers. I own virtually every wick every made and although I know how to use them and in what application, I don't know all the machining terms and such.

With that being said, the 44-32's are significantly hotter than the 44-20's. I've used all three sizes of the 44's before, and you can absolutely tell the difference in burning qualities.

I remember a conversation here, a little while back, where several people had tested the difference in a 44-32z versus a 51z and felt that the 44-32's were hotter. I haven't tried that so I don't know. I just know that if a 44-24 works in a certain application, I can't substitute a 44-32Z if I run out of the other size.....

DanaE