borax????

Jo Ann

i see alot of liquid soap with borax in them. whats up that??? isn't borax a base and why would you want it in something you put on your skin or in your hair? i can see it maybe as part of a household cleaner. i use it with my laundry. but not directly on your skin. of course i could be wrong but i wouldn't want to use it myself.

I am not sure completely what the difference is between your average mule team borax and what they have listed as cosmetic. I've never quite understood and often wonder if it isn't just someway to make you pay more cashola.

These are the ingredients listed for 20 mule team borax taken off the dial website:

20 Mule Team® Borax is made of 100% Borax, a naturally occurring mineral composed of sodium, boron, oxygen and water. 20 Mule Team® Borax is not harmful to washing machines, plumbing or septic tanks and does not contain phosphates or chlorine.

I do use borax in my LS. For every ounce of dilution water I add .04 oz. of borax - that's not a lot in my view. My understanding is that it acts both as an emulsifier and a thickener. And if you add too much, yes, you are going to get drying LS. I made that mistake the first time I made LS.

My two cents!

thanx bethany. cuz i looked at mine and it has not additives either. i have really sensitive soap, (why i got into making my own) and borax never bothered my skin....i love it with well water with my laundry.

i was also suprised to find it in creams and lotions.