New cane questions

Hi. Finally got around to trying another cane. Decided to try dried rose petals embeded in the wax. Made several errors, but learned a lot also. Maybe my table is slanted or ? but The tops of the cane aren't near the same height. So I tried cutting some, melting in a fry pan etc. Still not real happy with my results. so, how do you do get or keep them level? I've read the cane instructions here, but being quite a bit off, I just kept melting it shorter, but still crooked. You can see some small holes but air could have been trapped when I tried to get the petals up off the bottom. I did tap. The inside is pretty raggy, but I'm going to try again and try to get rid of my errors. Also, can you ever get rid of the mold line entirely? How about keeping it smear free? At least I don't hate it, and it does have possibilities and illuminates pretty well. Next one will be better! Beth

[ATTACH]14727[/ATTACH]

post-365-139458442532_thumb.jpg

I bet that pink color casts a pretty glow. It looks pretty good to me. :smiley2: I'd love to try one but don't have the correct wax right now. I'm going to watch the tutorial tomorrow.

My oven must not be level 'cause my palm pillars are always a little off. I could use some advice on leveling also. I'm using the pan over water technique but sometimes it seems like I'm just making it worse.

Maybe someone can offer some "tricks of the trade".

Isn't it irritating when you want them to be perfect! I have problems with some of the pillars I'm trying, but not as bad as with the canes (all three I've made, lol.) I think I will get my husbands level and see if I can adjust something. Been wondering if my water pail isn't flat on the bottom. Or, maybe they are always that way and someone will jump in with an easy answer. The pink came out a bit darker than I had planned, but it does cast a warm glow. I'll just add wax and use the rest for my next one and it should be a bit lighter. :smiley2: Beth

Of course 'tis better to level the mold BEFORE pouring for best results, but even then, things become unlevel easily. I gave up trying to level the molds 'cause it was too "ticky ticky" and still I ended up releveling a bunch... Here's how I level my candles and 'canes:

I level mine in an old electric skillet set on "warm." One could easily use a flat bottomed pan set over hot water (which is how I did it until I remembered that old skillet in the top of the pantry). First, I make SURE that the skillet is level by using a carpenter's level (do this BEFORE turning it on!). Then I have a smaller level that I place on the flat bottom (or top) of the candle or 'cane to ensure I don't get "off" while trying to level. If one side is noticeably higher than the other (typical with my palm pillars), I either trim it (preferable) or start leveling on that side and don't touch the other side to the skillet until the excess from the high spot it melted off. As wax accumulates in the skillet, I wipe it out with paper towels.

It takes a LOT longer to write about the leveling process than it does to do it. It should take only a few seconds to level the candle or cane, otherwise, too much wax will be melted and will have a tendency to drip.

Once I have melted the excess wax off in the skillet, I immediately put the warm end down onto a cool countertop or tile to cool and "set" the wax. Easy peasy.