Neewbie questions

Hello everyone,

I'm new to candle making so go easy on me. I have just ordered my first batch of GG palm from CS. I'm pretty excited to get started, but had a few questions. I tend to be one of those people that like to over think things and always seem to scare myself and and create more doubt in the process.

After reading and searching many of these post I have found some wonderful information that I think will really help me get started. So here is a pre thank you for the already great advice I've seen.

Is there a way to calculate how much wieghted wax you need to use for a container? in other words is there a ratio to wighted wax vs what the actual volume melted in the container will be (I hope that makes sense)? Does it also depend on the type of wax as well?

I have been searching the forum for anyone that might have a "testing" spreadsheet or log sheet that they use that they really like. with so many variables to account for I would love to be as detailed as possible in writing down everything I do through out the process and make sure I am not leaving anything out.

Thanks again for all helpful advice already.

Bruce

Hi Bruce and welcome to the wonderful world of candlemaking.

When I first started about 2 years ago, I would fill my container with water. Then pour it into a measuring cup. This told me how many ounces of wax I needed for that container.

There's a lot of reading on this board. It's the best one that I am a member of. There are several.

Have fun and good luck.

Bruce, since you are new to candlemaking, you might as well get off on the right foot and LEARN to use weight as your measure and NOT volume measurement. No two waxes have exactly the same volume or weight. Approximating by filling a container with water to the desired level and weighing DOES work, but it is an approximation. Since water is heavier than wax, you will have excess using this method. Different waxes have different weights and volumes. I am sure there is a formula for EACH, but they would all be a little different.

Another way to note how much of a particular wax is required to fill a container, is to melt some wax, and pour it into the container to the desired level. Weigh the container empty, tare, then weigh the filled container. This allows one to be pretty accurate. But most folks need second pours, etc. and fail to account for that in their calculations. It's always better to have a little extra than not enough. ;) HTH :)