I need a little help with my receipe.

cozyaromas

Okay I have decided to try and create an receipe, and I need an experience soaper to tell me if I'm missing something. Do I have to many soft oils and not enough hard oils or is it to many hard and not enough soft or am I just plan ole losing my mind! :shocked2:

My receipe consist of Mango butter, shea butter, avocado butter, castor oil, jojoba oil, babussu, and Palm Kernal Oil. I ran my receipe both through soapcalc, and the soapmaker. Overall, it seems like it will be a good bar. Hardness came to a 47, Cleansing a 9, conditioning a 45, bubbly lather a 24 and creaminess was a 32. However, I feel that I'm missing something, what it is I don't know.:confused: Now, when I finally make the bar, it will be unscented as I want to experience it's full qualities. Does this bar look okay, any suggestions or feedback is welcome. BTW, this will be produced in an 2lb mold for sarters.

Depends on your percentages. Right now it looks like one soft oil to all hard. Before anyone says anything, I've always read that jojo is a liquid wax with plenty of benefits, so it's hard to say if it's a hard or soft classification, in which case you could have two soft oils to all that hard.

I still think you need more soft oils like something conditioning.

yeah I had to play with the percentages a little because it wasn't conditioning enough for me...but here they are.

Mango- 25%

Avocodo-20%

Palm Kernal-20%

Shea-15%

Babussu-10%

Castor-5%

Jojobo-5%

I'm sorry cleansing was an 19 and not a 9 :embarasse

Well rule of thumb ... (I always hear Bunny's voice and see this wagging finger when I say this) ... 50% hard oils to 50% soft oils till you get comfortable and familiar with formulating etc. Sooooooooo ... in that instance you need either 30% more soft oils or 25% depending on where Jojo(ba) falls on the scale.

Have you got any:

Soybean oil

Sunflower

Olive

RBO

type oils you could add to this recipe?

You could drop the butters down or try Darwin's recipe for the butters and see how that works for you.

Course if you want to just experiment (which is what happens when trying to make our own recipes) try it, but I think you'll find it to be too hard and it might crumble on you because of the differences.

I always get confused when it comes to hard oils and soft oils, especially when it's not a clear oil like jojoba. I did read Bunny's tutorial, and printed tons of pages from the Miller site. I do have some Olive oil maybe I can see where that could fall into the receipe. Maybe I'll try it for the heck of it, in the meantime let me look for Darwin's receipe. Thanks for the help Scented, Ms 10,000 and counting!!!lol

Shhhh

Let's see what we can find to help ya. I see there's a thread by Michelle B I believe.

Here's Darwin's that I found. You had a lot of butters in yours, which made me think of her.

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28100

Not sure this is her ultra high butter recipe though.

This isn't a high butter recipe, but you could tinker with it ... it's Quiet girl's

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36294

As for hard and soft ... if it's hard at room temp, I consider it a hard oil and if not, I consider it to be a soft oil ... just I'm not sure about the Jojo and for that matter ... not sure where emu would fall either, so I stuck it in an other category (actually it got added to the soft oils and pulled from the batch to stir in at trace.)

So what oils we got to play with lol! I just got done tinkering a recipe on soapcalc. Frustrating little tool, but I've decided I am close enough to a starting point.

Well I have everything for Darwin's receipe, so that's a start. I'll mess around with it to come up with something.

I jumped in on that CF co-op to get more oils as well. I just love Shea and Mango Butters, so those are most definitely a keeper for me, for right now. I tell ya working out a receipe for CP is hard work, the soapcalc is like my bestfriend right now along with the soapmaker's companion. :)

When I finally soap this receipe I'll let you know how it turned out. Thanks again Scented you're the best!!