Woodwick candles

I tested the lonestar ones and they recommended to trim to 1/8 inch to start. Then you can just pinch off the excess with your fingers when needed. Of course after it has cooled. Works pretty well. I used a pair of flat end trimmers from te hardware store to trim it down to size. They cut straight down and straight across. Didn't have a problem keeping the one I made lit. And it had a nice crackle. Needed to wick down and put that project on hold for now.

While this old thread is being revived I thought I might pop in with a question. I have a dozen of each of the medium & large wooden wicks which I am looking to try. I have not as yet as the jar I am looking at is currently out of stock at my supplier here.

We do both soy containers as well as palm containers. Has anyone tested these in glass glow palm, and if so how did it perform for you. I would really like to stay clear of soy over the next 4 - 6 months as the temperature here just gets too hot and it becomes problematic. The palm holds up so much better in the heat.

Thanks

Richard

I am using the wood wicks in the glass glow palm it burning good but I need to use a smaller wood wick. I just got some today I ordered from www.candlewic.com they com with tabs too. I had the extra large ones and they are too much (from another company) I think it was Candlesandsupplies. I am going to try the large and medium ones this weekend.

Linda:yay:

I am using the wood wicks in the glass glow palm it burning good but I need to use a smaller wood wick. I just got some today I ordered from www.candlewic.com they com with tabs too. I had the extra large ones and they are too much (from another company) I think it was Candlesandsupplies. I am going to try the large and medium ones this weekend.

Linda:yay:

When using the wood wicks in palm (glass glow), is it still necessary to poke relief holes?

Oh Ya! I poke holes in a different way than I've read here. I wait for the candle to set up over night. I use a metal kabob skewer and poke holes around the wick and out a little further, about 1" to 1/2" deep depending on if I feel a void. Then I take my heat gun and gently melt the top surface so the wax runs down in the holes. Sometimes I will let it resolidify for a couple hours and poke lighty again and touch up with the heat gun. The wood wick will get hot and sometimes discolor the top that's when I use a smaller size. I'm still testing the palm, but they are great in soy.

Linda:smiley2:

Edited by soy327

• 1 month later...

At first that is all I used. I have sold a good bit of them. But after working with them I'm just not really impressed with them anymore. I used them in 8 oz jelly jars. The jars would get extremely hot. So I tried different size wicks and they still got really hot to the touch. I also noticed that the ht was not very good unless it was a really strong scent. I do think that the main problem was the jar was just to small. I might try working with them at a later date. I had a lot of problems with them. A little bit of advice though its best to use the silicone to hold the wick tab down with. Because it does get so hot I found that if I used wick stickers or hot glue half way down the wick will fall over. I'm not saying every one of them will. But most of them will ether move or fall over with ws or hg.

Well I finally got around to pouring some tester for the wood wicks that I purchased about 3 months ago.

2 x 3" Cookie jars.

1st is NG cucumber mint / large size wick.

Flame is very large, but the crackle is awesome! 1.5 hours into the first burn and full melt pool about 1/4 inch deep. This is in glass glow palm. Looks and sounds great, expect that the flame is probably too large and the jar is getting very hot.

2nd is from a local supplier - Autum Harvest. Used the medium size wick. Flame is much better sized than the previous. Nowhere near as much crackle, and jar is a little cooler, although not much. Nowhere near the throw as the larger wick (and this scent throws really well). No full melt pool as yet.

Still of course way too early to tell how it is all going. The cucumber mint may develop a smaller flame when the wick is trimmed again before the next burn.

Will definitely be interesting to see how this pans out. I now have one of the local shops wanting me to supply as they cant get any genuine woodwick candles till late Fed / early March due to a change of supplier here, so a definite opportunity.

• 2 weeks later...

Still currently testing but I have discovered a couple of things.

They work like crap in soy wax. Even the large wick which is 3/4 inch I think has trouble staying lit in a 16 oz apothecary jar.

That same wick in glass glow palm throws a flame about 1 1/2 inches high, so I am going to try a size down to see how it performs.

I will continue with the soy I am currently testing, however I just think that wood wicks in soy may be a lost cause. The shops I have spoken to who want these do nothing but complain about the genuine woodwick candles and how much trouble they are to keep lit.

I dont think they will have an issue with the glass glow, so now its just a matter of getting the right size wick for that wax.

Will keep you up to date as I continue to test.

[quote=RichardLOZ;809203

They work like crap in soy wax. Even the large wick which is 3/4 inch I think has trouble staying lit in a 16 oz apothecary jar.

I was thinking the same thing. I figured that the soys melt point was just to low for these type of wicks. I have been wanting to try the glass glow palm. But I have always heard it was a booger to wick. I still have 20 or so wood wicks left. So I think I'm going to have to buy some GG and play a little with it. There is defiantly a market for wood wicks even here in the states. I had good feed back when I was making them. Its just like you said they are crappie in soy. Not to mention they scared me because the glass would get so hot. I had a bunch of the wicks to shift or just plain fall over. But hopefully with a higher melt point wax they will work.