low flame and scent

Hello Folks,

A newbie to candle making here with a question.After my candle gets its full melt pool the flame gets smaller and not as much scent is thrown.Ive tried several different wicks and it still does it no matter what.Im using 4630 wax in a 4 ounce hurricane votive.Its close to 2 inch diameter id say.The scent is better before i reach the full melt pool.I use 1 ounce of scent per pound.Ive used eco and htp wicks in various sizes. The container is a hurricane votive glass, Any ides?............thx

I found 4630 very difficult to work with. Lots of wicking issues as you have described. Try cutting back on the fo first. Second you may need a hotter burning wick. Sounds like the the wicks you are using are not consuming the wax and fo. I have since switched waxes.

• 2 weeks later...

I won't claim to be an expert but I have been working with 4630 for about a year now. Certain scents are very hard to wick and you did not say which scents are causing the problem. Try using LX or Peak's cotton wicks-these work best for me on the widest variety of scents. I always start with the smallest wicks-LX8 and C-30 and go up from there. A couple scents are good with HTP, and I think ECO is going to work on some of the ones which have given me fits. Good Luck.

Yeah I have been having trouble with this wax too. I was using CD wicks but I have read a lot of people on here don't like them. Why?

What kind of trouble are you having? Just curious. My most frustrating problem is scents that give me a good melt pool and throw but a tiny flame prone to blowing out. AHHHH! I understand that CD wicks are similar to HTP wicks. I do use HTP for some scents, but for other scents, either I can't get a good melt pool, or the flame gets too large at the bottom of the jar. I use a tapered jelly jar. For instance, with Cinnamon, I was up to an HTP 93 and could not get a proper melt but went to an LX 10 which is a much smaller wick, relatively speaking, and got a good melt. It is a difficult wax to wick but has great throw and it is easy to work with so I stick with it. Looks pretty in a glass jar too.