Small Claims Court?

kinipela

I think I'm missing something here.... You stopped payment first, THEN called the show manager...?? Did you ever attempt to call either show manager first, to make sure they had indeed received the check,, before placing stop payment.?

As stated above:

I assumed the check was lost since I had not heard from them. I had left a message for show manager 1, and she never got back to me. During our one phone call, she told me her mother had gotten really sick and died during this time frame. She didn't recall getting that message either, but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt on that. Why wouldn't I assume it lost? It had not been cashed, I had not heard anything. How was I to know it wasn't a scam? And they tried to cash the check 2 weeks after the show.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the general concensus here is that the application may have gotten lost in the mail, and even if it was not, you should have taken the initiative to contact the promoter much earlier than you did.

Everybody has a life to live and everybody's busy, so that's not really a valid reason to say why it took so long to contact them. I'm sure you were posting here during the waiting period between Aug. and Nov. 25, and you surely had to see many threads about craft shows, etc. How could it not jog your memory at any time regarding your own show?

No, it does not cost $35 for someone to open an envelope and read an application. In what you have described, it wasn't really a $35 application fee. It was $35 booth rental. The $35 fee goes in part to pay salaries. Someone has to perform workerbee duties--make copies, mail packets, pay bills, review paperwork, and determine placement of booths/vendors, etc. In some cases, workers don't get paid at all; instead of salaries, that amount goes to charity. It also goes to the cost of renting a facility, and paying for advertising.

When the form says fees are non-refundable that only applies if you are accepted to the event. Once you are accepted you can't put a stop payment on your check because you changed your mind; your financial situation has changed; you found a better show; you're sick; you've got a funeral to attend; you can't get ready in time, etc. I'm sure they've heard them all.

I have only been considering the fact that you were accepted for this event. It didn't occur to me that you may have been rejected. If you were rejected for this event, then yes they would have to return your money. If the manager couldn't remember mailing you a packet, then being rejected might explain it.

That is the only way, in my opinion, that you will be able to get your money back.

Originally Posted by kinipela viewpost.gif

"I assumed the check was lost since I had not heard from them. I had left a message for show manager 1, and she never got back to me. During our one phone call, she told me her mother had gotten really sick and died during this time frame. She didn't recall getting that message either, but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt on that. Why wouldn't I assume it lost? It had not been cashed, I had not heard anything. How was I to know it wasn't a scam? And they tried to cash the check 2 weeks after the show."

Ok, with all due respect, I have to ask...why is it ok for YOU to assume the check was lost, but it isn't ok for THEM to assume you got your packet?

I have only been considering the fact that you were accepted for this event. It didn't occur to me that you may have been rejected. If you were rejected for this event, then yes they would have to return your money. If the manager couldn't remember mailing you a packet, then being rejected might explain it.

How am I to know if I was rejected or not if I don't hear anything from them? They have not said once either way if I was accepted or rejected. If I had received the packet, and something changed, I'd be out the money. No problem.

At this point, I'm sick of talking about it. I don't need sleepless nights right now wondering if a sheriff is going to come to my house and serve me for something as stupid as $35. I haven't heard back from them, but as someone else said, mark it up to karma and just send it. I have some thinking to do tonight. (But I still say it's a load of b.s. and a bluff. However, it might not be worth it to risk it.) santa mad

Ok, with all due respect, I have to ask...why is it ok for YOU to assume the check was lost, but it isn't ok for THEM to assume you got your packet?

I called, they never called back. It easily could have been a scam. I did not hear one thing from them from August till late November. After all, read the app. It says "Mother's Day Extravaganza" for a December show. If they can't get their app right...

After all, read the app. It says "Mother's Day Extravaganza" for a December show. If they can't get their app right...

Then you shouldn't have considered joining the show. You right there are telling us to read the app to see they are nitwits, however, you are the one that sent them money for that very show that states it's for Mother's Day in December.:tiptoe:

Angi

Then you shouldn't have considered joining the show. You right there are telling us to read the app to see they are nitwits, however, you are the one that sent them money for that very show that states it's for Mother's Day in December.:tiptoe:

Angi

Yes, well it would have been my first show, and I was excited about that. I wrote it off as a mistake, but now I've figured out otherwise ;)

The best part of all this is you live and learn. You will now be armed to the teeth with info if and when you decide to do another show :) And I completely understand not feeling like you should have to follow up on your app status but let me tell ya, it is truly the best thing to do. Especially when your hard earned dollars are involved, whether it's $10 or $1000!

Angi