1st Palm/Soy Pillar....pretty happy...

I just poured my first batch of palm/soy pillars this morning! I am pretty amped with the results....except for air pocket holes on top of both the votive and the pillar. I poured at 190 (as per directions). What causes the holes (they are only about 1/4" deep) I have never come across this with just PB.

Should I do a 2nd pour? Should I have been poking relief holes as it cooled? Can you use a heat gun, or will that ruin the feathering (it will actually be the bottom of the candle anyhow).

I can't figure out the pic thing or I'd attach one to see. Aside from that I got great feathering and they slid right out of the molds!

Congratulatons! Glad you had fun!

Yes, you need to make relief holes;

Yes, you will have to do a second pour to fill the voids.

It's best to be proactive with air pockets and try to prevent their formation; once the candle has cooled, you cannot assure that the second pour will actually fill all the voids, particularly troublesome if they are large.

If you search for "relief holes" you will find tons of information. HTH :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have just lit my pillar yesterday. I burned for 3hrs then 4hrs. I have a depth of just under 1" with a rim of about 3/8". It look gorgeous to me....I just hope it's not "beginners luck".

Is this normal results for palm/soy thus far? I will try to add a pic, if I can figure it out.

Kim