How to label PROPRIETARY ingredients?

beau's mama

I'm obsessed with lotion & body spray right now :D so last night I was "wish shopping" for supplies & came across an EO/FO modifier at WSP & the Chemistry Store. CS doesn't list ingredients & WSP just says it's a "proprietary emulsifying agent". If the ingredients are proprietary, how the hell are you supposed to label correctly :confused: Or do you buy the stuff & call the supplier for ingredients, kinda like "buy it & we'll tell ya what's in it"?

I must be an "odd duck". If I am looking for a product like this and they don't divulge the ingredients for my labels, I will NOT buy it. I will find a supplier that has something I CAN list on my ingredients. I won't risk being sued over an issue that could have been caused from that "proprietary" blend, especially when I can't even answer what it is.

There are several suppliers out there with products that will help EO's & FO's emulsify and you WILL know what the ingredients are.

Just my opinion :cool2:

I might be wrong and should go and look back at my FDA bookmarks, but I believe the only ingredients you aren't required by law to list in B & B are those that make-up 1% or less of the total formula...they also have 'proprietary' rules like Robin said...just can't recall all right now...the FDA pages are a good read when you have lots of time and patience, but are sooooo important