Using Herbs in HP

southern.scents

I am going to try out using herbs in HP for the Essence of Nature Swap. First off, I have never bought herbs before. I assume that they will come dry. I am ordering Arnica Flowers- whole, Chamomile Flowers- Whole, and Lavender Flowers- Whole. The website does not say if they are dried or not but this may just be an understood thing in the herb world??? Any ways. Does this Arnica, Chamomile, and Lavender mixture sound like it would go well together in soap. The Arnica is a very healing herb while Chamomile and Lavender are both very soothing. I figured I would leave the soap a natural color with hints of purple and these whole flowers on top and some finely chopped ones through out the soap. I think this sounds okay but will some of you really experience soapers chime in?

I know chamomile and lavender go beautifully together as a friend asked for the combo on her doctors recommendation. I made it using a combination of infused oils and ground herbs. I also added some calendula to this batch, no other colors or scents. A very nice soap. Great for relaxing after a stressful day. It came out with a faint scent, golden brown with a very slight hint of lavender in color.

I have no doubt the herbs will come dried. From my experience, if you add the chamomile directly to the soap make sure it is ground very finely. If not it can become very scratchy. I also think it is wise to finely grind lavender too, as most herbs (and lavender is one) will turn black in the soap and whole lavender buds come out looking (as was best described to me by someone) like “rat turds”. I have not used arnica so can’t give any input on it. But I have found that often some of the oddest sounding combos have made very nice soap. You won’t know if you don’t try. A hint… do let these have a week or two to really get dry before packing. The addition of the botanicals can leave your soap open to mold if it is at all moist if you use more than trace amounts. I haven’t had any problems, but I cure my soap in a “closet” with a dehumidifier and a fan for air circulation. I have read of others who have had the problem. Yes, I know you are doing HP but even HP has a little excess moisture when first made.

You have given me an idea… the anti inflammatory properties of the arnica in a salt bar (which I have found to be very helpful with arthritis) could be a winner.

That is one of the reason I chose the combo. It is a healing and relaxing type bar. Here is a quick question you may know the answer to, how do you use EO in soap. Do you go about your recipe that same way and treat the EO as an FO and put it into your SoapCalc as an FO or do you figure this into your final weight. If you use it the same way you use and FO, at what percentage do you suggest? Thanks

I know chamomile and lavender go beautifully together as a friend asked for the combo on her doctors recommendation. I made it using a combination of infused oils and ground herbs. I also added some calendula to this batch, no other colors or scents. A very nice soap. Great for relaxing after a stressful day. It came out with a faint scent, golden brown with a very slight hint of lavender in color.

I have no doubt the herbs will come dried. From my experience, if you add the chamomile directly to the soap make sure it is ground very finely. If not it can become very scratchy. I also think it is wise to finely grind lavender too, as most herbs (and lavender is one) will turn black in the soap and whole lavender buds come out looking (as was best described to me by someone) like “rat turds”. I have not used arnica so can’t give any input on it. But I have found that often some of the oddest sounding combos have made very nice soap. You won’t know if you don’t try. A hint… do let these have a week or two to really get dry before packing. The addition of the botanicals can leave your soap open to mold if it is at all moist if you use more than trace amounts. I haven’t had any problems, but I cure my soap in a “closet” with a dehumidifier and a fan for air circulation. I have read of others who have had the problem. Yes, I know you are doing HP but even HP has a little excess moisture when first made.

You have given me an idea… the anti inflammatory properties of the arnica in a salt bar (which I have found to be very helpful with arthritis) could be a winner.

Sorry, I don’t use EOs at this time. Most of the people who use my soaps have health issues and are on medications that contradict many EOs. It is my choice to not use them until I have time to sit and study enough to make sure I am producing a product that is safe for my customer base.

I am NOT saying reasonable use of EOs isn’t safe for a healthy adult, just that for most of the people who like my soap it might not be. And yes, I know EOs are derived from the herbs I use, but the herbs have a much lower concentration and have flavanoids, vitamins, and esters that are lost in the distillation process. So it’s a trade off for me. Basically all I know about EOs is that basil EO should not be used by pregnant women. Limonene can cause photosensitivity, marjoram can act as a sedative, nutmeg is toxic at high levels even in cooking. Sorry, I didn’t mean to turn this into a lecture, but I don’t feel like getting jumped by people who use EOs quite safely in their products.

From what I have read EOs are treated much like FOs, just in lower concentrations. Apparently they hold up better in saponification and most seem to be less likely to cause discoloration or seizing in CP. I’m sure if you do a search on EOs you should get some good hits. Good luck.

I noticed the warnings but I can't find an Arnica FO anywhere. For all I know Arnica may smell horrid. Does it? Does anyone wanna chime in with a percentage that they have used for FOs?

Sorry, I don’t use EOs at this time. Most of the people who use my soaps have health issues and are on medications that contradict many EOs. It is my choice to not use them until I have time to sit and study enough to make sure I am producing a product that is safe for my customer base.

I am NOT saying reasonable use of EOs isn’t safe for a healthy adult, just that for most of the people who like my soap it might not be. And yes, I know EOs are derived from the herbs I use, but the herbs have a much lower concentration and have flavanoids, vitamins, and esters that are lost in the distillation process. So it’s a trade off for me. Basically all I know about EOs is that basil EO should not be used by pregnant women. Limonene can cause photosensitivity, marjoram can act as a sedative, nutmeg is toxic at high levels even in cooking. Sorry, I didn’t mean to turn this into a lecture, but I don’t feel like getting jumped by people who use EOs quite safely in their products.

From what I have read EOs are treated much like FOs, just in lower concentrations. Apparently they hold up better in saponification and most seem to be less likely to cause discoloration or seizing in CP. I’m sure if you do a search on EOs you should get some good hits. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
I noticed the warnings but I can't find an Arnica FO anywhere.

I doubt you'll find Arnica produced as a fragrance oil, the smell is nothing horrible but doesn't have any kind of scent that would translate into an attractive odor for personal care products.

As far as the use of the herb itself in soap, the fine hairs in arnica are irritating and would be problematic in soap. Since Arnica is never recommended for use on abrased skin which would be skin that is raw (because arnica burns like fire) I can't imagine using it in a salt bar. Salt is a drying abrasive and I can envision a truly uncomfortable reaction. Even the hairs of the herb on mucus membranes and other sensitive areas would be a disaster.

Herbs will rarely contain enough eo to scent soap indepent of adding eo, but I can tell you from long experience that the finer the herb powder, the more pleasing the results. Color is what I shoot for, especially since it's not likely that any other properties are going to survive the soapmaking process.

As a side note: If you are going to make soap for customers you know have medical conditions it's really best to remember the first rule of soap...it just cleans well. Unscented, plain soap is the only safe soap to offer those with medical conditions.