Knitting, other than clothing?

Wick'n'Wax

I've just learnt to knit, I can cast on and knit at the moment (haven't looked at the purl stitch) but just pick up a link on here to a website and going to try youtube.

My question is, what, other than clothing can you knit? I mean without a pattern, theres no way I'm going to get my head around a pattern yet.

I've just bought some gorgeous wool called feather, its got like a feather tassle on the edge of the twine, and I'm doing a scarf as its straight forward rectangle lol. So, when I've done that if I want to just keep knitting squares for practice, what can I use them for? Can you sew them together for a blanket or something?

Any suggestions for a non-pattern practice?

thanks

btw, my hubby just laughed when he saw me knitting, reckons I'm turning into an old woman ;) and I'm not the one that hit 40 this year :D

ooh a rug, what a great idea, made me think of a throw too, for the bed. How on earth I'd get that many stitches to make it wide enough on the needles though I don't know lol

Mind you, I've had to unpick this scarf I was making, because I started with 25 stitches and 4 inches into it, I had 92 ;) don't ask hehe, I've since been shown the light by my mum

Years ago I re-learned how to knit with The Learn To Knit Afghan Book by Barbara Walker. An amazing book, but anything by her is amazing. It resulted in a blanket, now owned by my SIL. You went through all these different "lessons" and each one resulted in a square.

If you decide upon a blanket, make sure your yarn is easily washable. You can also make coasters, cushion covers, and if you really really need this much practice, I'm sure hospital nurseries and dog pounds could always use blankets.

I've changed wools, the feather one I was using, I redid it twice and still ended up with 3 times more stitches.

I've bought normal? wool now, its chunky, and I'm using big fat plastic needles, I did about 8 inches of a scarve last night, just whilst watching tv :D

Came unstuck twice, I suddenly found a spare stitch!? at the end of a row and thought, I've seen my mum unpick a row and stick the needle back in, wow, that was hard.

Still got my 25 stitches though ;) a couple of minor blemishes along the way, not holes, more a tension thing I think. I'm leaving them in, its for my little girl and it shows that mummy made it if its not perfect ;)