I'm gonna cry

Since this my first post, HI!

I have a problem. I am making loaf candles, which are 3x3x6 and 3x3x10 inch square pillars turned on their sides. My problem is that after the second or third burn they are cracking in half, I mean all the way through.

I am using EcoSoy Pillar wax with 2.0 wicks. About 1.5 - 2 oz of scent per pound

Any suggestions would be a great help.:cry2:

First of all, I like your adventurous spirit and welcome to the board. You will find many wise words here.

Now I have seen loaf type candles with wicks along the middle that burned fine, even without a container to hold them. However they were paraffin which does have a certain tensile integrity not found in soy.

Soy wax is hydrogentated soy oil. I certainly have no wish to revive the soy/paraffin debate here but I think it may be the type of fuel; soy combined with the shape of your candles

Certainly chandlers make great free standing pillars out of soy but the stresses on the actual body of the candle are equal in all directions. Whereas with an elongated shape and the stresses actually occuring in a line along the middle, well it makes more sense to me that it would fall apart from the middle...that is; crack.

Just my opinion, you may find better opinions from others more experienced at this.

Again; Welcome

I've had that happen when the candle is cold and you light it. The heat feom the flame cracks it right in half. It happens a lot when I do outdoor shows in the colder months, so now I watch what I burn. Just a thought!

I've used EPB and I had one on the window and it cracked right in half (without burning) from the cold these last few days.

Welcome to the board and the world of candle making. If it makes you feel any better, I can cry right along with you! I'm having problems myself lately, with horrible wet spots. I can't help you with your problem, but sometimes it feels a little better when you know your not alone! Good luck and keep trying....one day things will just go right. :wink2: