Calculating %'s

I am really bad at this and I think I found an easy way, might help someone else also....IF I am right. Heres my formula: Total wax I want to use is 16oz. so I want FO @ 6% and additive @ 10%, heres what I did.

16oz x 10%= 1.6oz (additive)

16oz x 6%=.96 (FO)

total fo + add. 2.56

subtracted 2.56 from 16oz wax=13.44oz wax

Added--13.44+1.6+.96=16oz. CORRECT?

I am really bad at this and I think I found an easy way, might help someone else also....IF I am right. Heres my formula: Total wax I want to use is 16oz. so I want FO @ 6% and additive @ 10%, heres what I did.

16oz x 10%= 1.6oz (additive)

16oz x 6%=.96 (FO)

total fo + add. 2.56

subtracted 2.56 from 16oz wax=13.44oz wax

Added--13.44+1.6+.96=16oz. CORRECT?

Yes, you can absolutely do it this way. Same method regardless of FO%. You can also say that since you have 16% in additives you must have 84% in wax, so 16 x 84% = 13.44. (to me it's simpler to solve a % than to subtract x from y, lol).

This also makes it easy to blend up an exact amount needed without having leftover. If you want to mix up 48 oz. with maybe a few tenths extra in case you pour a tad too much in a jar, then you can do your equation based on say 48.5oz: 10% x 48.5......6% x 48.5......84% x 48.5.....etc.

I'm sure you'll hear from someone, or read about how this method may or may not give you "technically" the exact % of additives in your wax (as opposed to added to). It can get into a very convoluted explanation, based on perception of the desired accuracy of the statement (wow, did that make sense?) but bottom line is it doesn't matter one bit. As long as you choose a method and stay with it for all your equations, you will have consistent results. If you change how you solve your %, it could cause you problems, but wht you're doing works great and is simple. HTH

Thanks for your help! I see what your saying also. So either way the answer is the same....I love when that happens :cheesy2: I can see where I have been doing a few things wrong now and I can correct it. I love when that happens too. I'm going to make a chart with all the formulas so I won't have to figure it everytime, someone on here suggested that. At least with the amts. I use mostly. Once again...Thanks much!