what is your favorite beginner HP recipe?

Jo Ann

i am gonna do the hp tutorial on here, but i don't have any hard oils like crisco. i am trying to avoid anything that may be hyrdroginated (i am assuming hard oils are) even if the extra hydrogen atom is dispersed during processing the soap, its not a type of thing a person likes to see in any ingredients.

but i digress, what is your favorite beginner hp recipe and how did it turn out

I made castile as my beginner soap - eugenia has a recipe posted in the recipe section.

I'm boggled by the hydrogenated issue...

"Hydrogenated Fats and Oils

Hydrogenated fats are oils that have been processed through a chemical hardening method to achieve increased plasticity (stiffness) of the liquid oils at room temperature. " (http://www.cyberparent.com/nutrition/hydrogenated1.htm) This process is NOT applied to most soaping "hard" oils with the exception of crisco (and maybe no-stir palm, and possibly Armour brand lard).

I have yet to have anyone eat (well, not swallow anyway) one of my soaps so I personally do not worry about hydrogenated fats as I don't' think washing with a soap is likely to introduce the fats into my arteries - but that's just me. tons of folks here sell soap, so you might ask them if there has been any resistance to using hydrogenated fats. some do resist animal fats such as lard though, for various reasons.

its just me carebear, i do patient teaching and trying to teach ppl that anything hydrogenated is a big no no that the word itself has taken on evil connotations. but none the less, even tho i am not exactly why solid oils are needed, i will be off to by crisco today:drool:

each oil has it's own properties and brings something to the soap. but without touching a fatty acids subject, let's just say with the soft oils it is not easy to get a hard bar (i'm not saying you can't). you can use 100% olive if you want to, it'll just take a while to cure. But if you use oil like canola or soybean, any high linoleic soft oil, you will get a bar with orange spots pretty soon i'm afraid. Take CareBear's advice and make a batch of castile. if you don't want to wait for it to cure and loose the slime, use some coconut (walmart sells it, and it is NOT hydrogenated). or LARD (if you are not vegan), it is not hydrogenated either, it is just saturated fat. bad for your arteries, great in the soap.

i am thinking about lard for the first batch and i do have coconut oil on hand as well.

also, finally went thru all the stuff i have printed out and am putting in sleeves, organizing and will read.

once i make a few batches, my goal will be to come up with 1-3 base soaps to work with to add stuff to make the soaps more personalized.

i am so excited