Wicing Help for a Newbie

I recently posted to this site and received lots of help. Thanks to the answers I am not trying to pour regular soy wax into a pillar mold. One area that I also need help with is wicking, which never seems to get much attention in tutorials or instructions, but based upon the archives is a problem area.

I have read enough to know to stay away from glue dots. I have read the virtues and drawbacks of HOT glue guns and silicone guns. From what I have read, I would like to try Wick Stickers from The Candlemakers Store, unless I hear some strong objection.

Now, having said that, I still would like to seek some advice.

1. Candlescience sells a product called a Wick Setter for $20. Is this useful/necessary?

2. How do you get the Wick Sticker to the bottom of the jar and centered?

3. Do I just place the wick on the Wick Sticker, or do I use the metal wick assembly piece?

4. Does the wick sticker ever come out when the candle is burned?. I am asking this question for the reuse of jars.

5. If I use the wick sticker, do I stick and pour, or is there a setting period?

I would really appreciate any advice that I can get on this subject. Thanks.

1. Candlescience sells a product called a Wick Setter for $20. Is this useful/necessary?
Not necessary but an extremely useful tool to have. It adjusts to the mouth of your jar and automatically centers your wick.
I use a wick setter so I just stick the wick in the tube and push the plunger and my wick is centered.
3. Do I just place the wick on the Wick Sticker, or do I use the metal wick assembly piece?
You will need wick tabs on your wicks and the sticker will adhere to the tab.
4. Does the wick sticker ever come out when the candle is burned?. I am asking this question for the reuse of jars.
I use high temp silicone and don't reuse jars so I can't answer this one.
5. If I use the wick sticker, do I stick and pour, or is there a setting period?
I don't use wick stickers but from what I've read about them you can just "stick and pour".

Thanks for the advice. I will probably go in for a wick setter. I started running through the CandleMakers Store for the wick stickers. I can get 100 Wick Stickers for $1.99. But, the shipping is like $14 UPS. They do say they can use USPS priority which will be cheaper. That is good but still 4 -5 times the price of the product. Any ideas? Has anyone else encountered this?

It may be useful, but not necessary, imho. If you draw your jar on a paper plate or white paper you can bullseye it and then set the jar on it. Like a target. After some practice, you won't need it.

You attach the wick sticker to the bottom of your metal tab. You can use a ball point pen body to place your wick in (with the metal tab on the bottom). It will help you center and attach the wick.

You can warm the jar and use needlenosed pliers to remove the wick and sticker. Yes, you can pour right away using a wick sticker.

I just got a wick setter and I love it. It had instructions with it on how to set it for the size jar you are using and how to put the wick in. I use the wick stickums too. All you do is put the stickums on the wick tab, put the wick up in the setter and there is a magnet on the bottom of the setter that keeps the wick in place then you just push the top down and your wick is set.

I usually wait until I need to order FO's, wax or other items then I order the wick stickems then I'm not paying shipping on one little thing.

HTH :thumbsup: