Rebatch in a Crockpot

Crystala25

I can make cp soap, but I cannot rebatch soap for the life of me. If I want to rebatch in a crockpot should I still use one of those boilable baggies and add water to the crockpot or should I just put the shredded soap straight in the crockpot with the little bit of water? Any other advice or tips. Thanks.

I seldom rebatch but when I do I stick it straight in the crock pot, low setting. I have, however, seen articles recommending rebatching in boil bags. That would probably be easiest as it would prevent the soap from coming in contact with hot walls of the crock pot, especially if your pot doesn’t have a low setting. In the articles they say to simmer the bag them knead until consistent and smooth. Do a search, you can probably find something on it. The positive would be a lot less clean up and less likely to scorch. The only drawback to using the bags I can see is it will be HOT to handle.

Good luck.

I've found that using the boiling bags in water gave me the smoothest results.

I've used the oven bags meant for meat. Tie it up tight with the shredded soap (use string, not the closures that come with the bag). Immerse in boiling water and let it go until it's completely melted.

There is no need to add additional liquid. Ive tried double boiler rebatching, microwave, crockpot and oven and the bags are the smoothest by far.

Cutting in up in chunks (if it's just ugly) and overpouring with fresh CP works well too.

HTH,

e

I just pour my scraps in the crock pot like Grandma does... add a bit of water... and I put that sucker on high. Fully melts in about an hour... depending on how big your scrap chunks are.... unless you finely grate your soap... then it melts faster. *Sometimes* I add a tad bit more FO to it... Then I just pour in one of my log molds, lined with a plastic bag.

At other times... instead of pouring it in a mold... I add sugar and a bit of oil to keep it somewhat mushy... and I make scrubs to pamper myself with!

I just pour my scraps in the crock pot like Grandma does... add a bit of water... and I put that sucker on high. Fully melts in about an hour... depending on how big your scrap chunks are.... unless you finely grate your soap... then it melts faster. *Sometimes* I add a tad bit more FO to it... Then I just pour in one of my log molds, lined with a plastic bag.

At other times... instead of pouring it in a mold... I add sugar and a bit of oil to keep it somewhat mushy... and I make scrubs to pamper myself with!

A tad more????????? Yeah… right… we know you Donna… its not sometimes and it’s not a “tad” (or tad has suddenly been redefined). You love your strong scents! I swear I can smell it all the way here when you add a “tad” of scent! It’s wonderful!

You set your crock pot to high and the soap doesn’t scorch on you? I (being the impatient person I am) started with the pot set on high and it wasn’t pretty. Low works for me. Takes all day but I get the best results (which isn’t that good for me). I will have to try euginia’s recommendation.

A tad more????????? Yeah… right… we know you Donna… its not sometimes and it’s not a “tad” (or tad has suddenly been redefined). You love your strong scents! I swear I can smell it all the way here when you add a “tad” of scent! It’s wonderful!

You set your crock pot to high and the soap doesn’t scorch on you? I (being the impatient person I am) started with the pot set on high and it wasn’t pretty. Low works for me. Takes all day but I get the best results (which isn’t that good for me). I will have to try euginia’s recommendation.

Yes... LOL I only add a "tad" more... LOL If I add too much FO or too much of any kind of oil to a rebatch... it doesn't harden up. Unless I'm making myself a scrub, THEN I add more oil (not FO...LOL) to keep it somewhat mushy.

Yep... I set that sucker on high... and it doesn't scorch. You must have one powerful crockpot then. rotf lmao :laugh2: I had got the cheapest one (big enough to rebatch soap in) Maybe my crockpot isn't as powerful as yours. Try your medium setting. (if you have one)

I always rebatch in my crock pot. I grate my soap up, add extra liquid, if necessary, put that baby on low, and let her go. I save all my soap shavings and use the crock to melt them down. It is not always the prettiest soap - I sell these batches for animal charities and call them "Little Treasures" - what's one man's trash, is another man's treasure." We sell them to help dog rescues since these dog's were essentially "thrown away" (hence the what is one man's trash ....) and we also donate to an organization that helps pet owners pay for vet bills when they are not able to.

I shredded up the soap, put it in a boilable baggie and then in the crockpot with water on the bottom. I let it cook on low for about 2-3 hours and it was about 3/4 of the way melted, but I got impatient and took it out. I then blended it with a hand mixer (whipped soap effect). So far it it is a pretty light brown color and very creamy looking. I will post picks in a few days when I unmold it. I hope it comes out looking okay, because every time I have rebatched they come out looking like a mess.