Making pillar candles

Hi everyone, I am new to this candle making hobbie and so far I have made only votive and tea soy candles. I would like to make pillar candles as well. Can someone give advise on making them. What type of wax to use. What size wick. I bought a candle mold with three wick holes. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I certainly would not start out by trying to make a 3 wick pillar. If you want to make pillars I would start with a 12oz mold, which is about a 3x4 pillar. I think for pillars especially it would be easier to use paraffin. I use IG 4625 with good results. hth

The best molds for pillars are the seamless aluminum molds. I would suggest getting a couple of 3" x 6½" molds with wick pins. Soy and palm both make fine pillars and both have their attributes and failing points. Palm wax and soy wax are very different from one another and from paraffin, so you will have to make decisions about wax type and brand. Be ready to conduct your own tests to find out what wicking works best for you - there just aren't any 1,2,3 answers. You might want to read up here in the veggie wax forum about making soy and palm pillars. :)

• 2 weeks later...