Need Opinion on Pillar Burn

I've been pretty pleased with the wicking I've done on my 3" pillars as I end up with a quarter inch shell and a nice, even MP. I've been letting it burn at intervals of 3 to 5 hours each time. Eventually, the quarter inch shell melts inward so that the candle consumes itself....no mess. BUT...about the 5th or 6th burn, I marathon burn (9 to 12 hours or more) and end up with a tiny burn valley on the top of one side of the shell which allows the wax to spill over. For that, would YOU have wicked down?? When I do, I'm now getting a shell that's nearly 3/4 of inch in width (after 3 hours burn time). I doubt there will be any spillage and can pretty much feel safe selling this. But it's just not as pretty of a burn and the candle will not self-consume with a shell this thick. What would YOU do????

TIA

What would YOU do????

I'd have taken a PICTURE to post!!! :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

OK - I'll behave! :)

BUT...about the 5th or 6th burn, I marathon burn (9 to 12 hours or more) and end up with a tiny burn valley on the top of one side of the shell which allows the wax to spill over. For that, would YOU have wicked down??

OK. I am not sure I am following you closely 'cause it's pretty foggy in my brain (don't put on your brakes quickly in case I AM following you too closely!:P) ...

BUT, what I THINK I am hearing is an uneven burn - more on one side than the other. To make nice, relatively perfect, quarter inch shells, ya gotta turn the candle every 15-20 minutes or so... Sometimes, when I am burning one that's way on down in there, the flame will become a little shorter and the candle burns very slowly but truly. THAT'S when I'll let it go on a marathon burn 'cause even after forgetting to turn it for an hour or so, the candle will just be toolin' right along.:)

Remember that palm wax's natural tendency IS to tunnel and burn DOWN, then out. Keep the wick trimmed to ¼" and turn the candle a quarter turn at even intervals so that it doesn't burn unevenly. Because I use self-trimming wicks, the melt pool will always be off center if I do not recenter the wick every so often, so when I see it going too much in one direction, I push the base of the wick in the opposite direction to even things up. HTH :)

Hi Stella :wave:

Thanks for responding! I'm turning the candle, keeping it out of drafts and doing all that I should be doing to make for an even burn. I haven't had to do that too often, though and it's been awesome. BUT...... :timeout: my "marathon burns" are done as a test to simulate what a consumer might do......a consumer who didn't know the proper way to burn a pillar. So, I light it, don't turn it and let'er rip! So, I guess my question should be: Do you make your candles geared more to the consumer who doesn't follow directions?...or do you make your candle assuming that burning instructions will be followed (i.e...keep out of drafts, turn pillar, blah, blah, zippity-doo-dah....)?

Thanks again!

I always powerburn a few to see how they are gonna stand up to abuse. When I burn candles for my own personal use, I am usually highly neglectful and tend to burn them for marathon burns, especially on my porch. I don't necessarily wick for one extreme or the other. If the candle is burned according to instructions, and the customer makes an attempt to burn the candle properly, they will enjoy a very long lasting, beautiful candle and will end up with a shell in which they can burn tealights and extend the life of their purchase. If they don't, the candle will burn true, but more haphazardly, as would any pillar that someone just lit and forgot.

I highly doubt that any customer is going to turn the pillar every 15 minutes or so ... I know I don't or wouldn't.
So, no shell for you! :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Seriously, though, our own attitudes and habits as candle consumers have a lot to do with how seriously our customers take instructions from us. ;) Turning candles, recentering and trimming wicks, burning on a level, non-flammable surface away from flammable objects, not allowing flammable material to remain in the melt pool, extinguishing after burning for several hours, keeping the candle out of drafts, paying attention to the BURNing candle, etc. are not strange, outlandish instructions - they are common sense and applicable to any candle, regardless of the type of wax used. Most warning labels hit every point above. ;)

I give instructions on how to burn the candle to leave a shell that can be reused with a tealight - more for the money, or as we say down here, a little lagniappe! :D It sets a goal for the customer to achieve. ;) I also give STRONG instructions that palm pillars should be burned in flat, shallow bowls or dishes 'cause when they are ignored and blow out, they can really FLOW!! I recommend big glass hurricanes (with bottoms) in which to burn pillars. Much safer and prettier, IMHO.

I also pour Easter Island Heads in palm and everyone always wants to know how to make the guy cry...:rolleyes2:)

CryingMoa1.jpg

So, if they are willing to preside over a Crying Moa, they MIGHT turn a pillar IF they want a nice shell...;):D

I think this highly depends on one's customer base. There are ALWAYS gonna be folks who ignore everything and light 'er up and let 'er rip. All one can do is warn and advise - beyond that one has no control other than to try to make a product that is as safe as possible under extreme conditions. I deliberately underwick the palm pillars because of idiots.

I have never had anyone complain about the way my candles burn (yet!). The customer feedback I have gotten is that they are amazed at how long and clean the candles burn and how nicely they fragrance the homes of their owners. I find the people who buy palm pillars and molded art candles are a little more attentive to their candles than are the folks who buy containers. ;)