Ideas to make this butter creamier?

starring

I followed a recipe on the forums, basical 6oz shea, 6oz cocoa, 4oz oils. I whipped it up and it was amazing, but after a few days in a jar, it has hardened, it takes effort to get it out and to melt in in your hands before applying. I want it to stay creamier and softer. Should I add more oil or a different ingredient to it?

I agree with Michi.

After ALOT of wasted butter, I settled for 60% butters and 40% oil in my whipped butter. It stays whipped up and creamy with this ratio. This recipe calls for 25% oils.

I personally won't put more than 25% cocoa butter because it will harden the butter. I love shea and mango in mine. I rarely use cocoa butter in them any more and have had MUCH better results without it.

But it smells so yummy, lol!!!! Thanks guys, I'll try more oils!

Neither one of us said to use more oils.

Why ask for advice?

You obviously had it in your head that you were gonna add more oils, so again I say, why ask any one of us for an opinion? :rolleyes:

Um, maybe I misinterpreted, Jami said she used 40% oils and my recipe only had 25% oils. To me, that sure sounds like 'add more oils'.

[Michi: Try backing down on your CB before adding more oils. It seems like that is the way it's supposed to be (harder) from looking at the recipe.]

I'm with you, BabyCakes, sounds like you were being advised by BOTH to add more oils. I don't think you misinterpreted at all.

Please don't chastise her for reiterating what YOU said.

Actually, if you do the calculations, the recipe that was mentioned is using 75% butter and 25% oils.

I stated I use 60% butters and 40% oils. I also stated I don't use more than 25% cocoa butter (out of my 60% butters) because it defeats the purpose of a whipped butter - it hardens the butter as stated. The remaining 35% of butters I use are softer butters (shea and some mango). This combination makes a whipped butter that stays whipped, soft and for me.

Yes 40% vs. 25% of oil is increasing the oil BUT I also made a suggestion about the butters as well, reducing from 75% to 60% and reducing the amount of cocoa butter in that combination. You want the total of your ingredients to add up to 100% of your total weight. If you left the butters alone and increased oils, that would put you at over 100% :smiley2:

You can't really go over 100%. What ends up happening is more final product weight-wise. The percentages adjust. If you want to keep the final amount of product constant, decrease something and increase something else. If you don't care about keeping the final amount constant, you can do one or the other -- it just doesn't matter.

Neither one of us said to use more oils.

Why ask for advice?

You obviously had it in your head that you were gonna add more oils, so again I say, why ask any one of us for an opinion? :rolleyes:

Michi, your answer was to back down on the cocoa. Was she supposed to substitute shea? You were totally vague in your initial response and have not yet made it clear what you meant.

e