Question about labeling your M&P soap

diamondk

Do you mean the ingredient label or the product label? I do both :D On the front of my bars, I put the product name (i.e. Peaches & Cream). Below that I will put "handcrafted goat's milk soap" and then below that I'll put the net ounces. On the back of the bars I put the ingredients - whatever the m&p contains along with whaterver goodies I've added to the batch. Then I add a standard "for external use only; if skin irritation develops, discontinue use".

hth,

Lisa

I also done some research into selling M&P and found out that if you market it as a hand soap you do not have to list all the ingredients because according to the code of federal regulations book FDA hand soap is not considered a cosmetic....and only cosmetic products must contain ingredients. Although in my opinion and testing M&P soap can be used as body soap also and if you market it as that...do as above stated and list all ingredients in the base as well as anything that you add along with a warning. That is just what I have found on it. HTH :)

Thanks for the reply. I didn't know if we could use the word handcrafted on the labels. I put the ingredients on all of my stuff along with the warnings. These are just for my family but I am also trying to get inputs from them on my labels along with them testing them. Thanks again.

EXACTLY! It's handcrafted regardless of what anyone tries to tell you. Actually, I think the word "handcrafted" is less offensive to some of those CP'ers out there than "homemade". But It's all the same ...look up the words in the dictionary ~ well here, I'll do it for ya:

hand·craft ( P ) Pronunciation Key (hndkrft)

n.

Variant of handicraft.

tr.v. hand·craft·ed, hand·craft·ing, hand·crafts (hnd-krft)

To fashion or make by hand.

home·made ( P ) Pronunciation Key (hmmd)

adj.

Made or prepared in the home: homemade pie.

Made by oneself.

Crudely or simply made.

hand·made ( P ) Pronunciation Key (hndmd)

adj.

Made or prepared by hand rather than by machine.

All of these were the first definitions listed for each word @ dictionary.com.

Take your pick :P

Well they are handcrafted , imo, so call it handcrafted, Don't feel because you are using a base it doesnt count as handcrafted.

Very well said!!! I agree totally :D

As CindyM & Prarieannie have already pointed out - the soap bars that you are creating are handcrafted and don't let anybody tell you any different! :D

I make both m&p and cp soaps - I always call my m&p bars "handcrafted" on the label and the cp bars "handmade".

I believe (and this is just my own opinion here) that you can use either term - whichever one suits you best. The only reason I choose to differentiate mine in this way is because when I'm doing a show, it helps open up conversation with potential customers on the difference between the two types if they question the different wording.

Lisa