Q about wax category and price & palm wax

Ok, I didn't know how else to put it, lol. ~ Please bear with me~

I was surfing my local suppliers web site because I need to replace my very first 10# slab of wax. So i'm kind of a wax newbie. I understand the different general types, but what I don't get is what is it they add or do to a wax to not only change the same wax from a container wax to a pillar wax, but which then also raises the price by $3/slab. I noticed the pillar was more expensive than the container. Is this because of the additives to make it harder? Or is it a different SOURCE of wax. This particular wax I seen was a palm wax. I've had palm wax tarts that didn't seem to have very good throw- but that could have been for a lot of reasons not due to the wax it's self, right? Do any of you have any opinions on using palm wax for tarts? I only make wickless and tarts for my family and friends and what I was able to get locally before was IGI 6006 (which last year was $13 for 10#- probably a close out price and they didn't inform me of the plan to stop selling it) and I would add straight paraffin and or steric to it. They stopped selling it though and now only have $20 for #10 paraffin, or this palm or straight soy.

So i'm just curious what to look for in why the costs are different and if I can buy the cheaper but softer wax and do my own blend/ additives.

I hope this makes SOME sense and thanks in advance for ANY input!!!!

I am just presenting this to you as a general statement. Soy melt point is in the 100-130 range. Palm melts at a higher range of 130-145 degrees.

Depending on the type of palm you get you may have problems in some low wattage melters. Or, in the light bulb type melters, the bulb may be old/weak and will emit less heat and won't melt the palm.

You will have to read the subject lines carefully but here are the links to the past posts:

General (paraffin): http://candletech.com/forums/search.php?searchid=779950

Vegetable wax (soy&palm): http://candletech.com/forums/search.php?searchid=779952

Sorry to give you so much to go through - but there are so many ways to do it!

And check out other suppliers - you may find better prices - unless this is also where you're buying your B&B or soaping supplies.

Welcome to the wonderful world of 1,001 wax combo's!!! HTH

Thaks for the reply. I've been looking at a search just now and there is a lot of mentions of palm ,just not a lot of details, lol. I'm not stuck on using it... although- it is pretty. And you are right, I do recall that my warmer, which is a nice one(I beleive an OBI electric dual candle/tart warmer) , had a heck of a time melting the palm tart. And perhaps that is why I got little throw. Good point! I think I will stick with the soy... Which the local place sells too. I can't imagine that shipping anywhere for wax would make up for the higher price they may be charging though. Per lb on line might be cheaper, but not with shipping KWIM? Especially when I only use #10 at a time, lol.

Thanks again. :D

Hi blazerina,

Palm wax is the hardest of all the natural waxes and as Judy said,has a higher melt point which may indeed make it harder to melt in a warmer. I know of no other additives added to palm waxes....I don't believe that there are any. I have been testing palm wax in 16oz. apothecary jars and the 8oz. jj . So far,I have used a lot less fo and have had better hot and cold throws with it than with 100% soy wax. I do double wick my apothecary jars with Candle Sciences CSN 9 wicks and use the same wick as a single wick in the jelly jars. Those wicks seem to do very well so far in any color and any fo. I am getting a clean burn in the apothecary jars with an excellent hot and cold throw. Now the single wicked jj I have had some sooting but only in one jar so far(knock on wood). I also get no hang ups in either jar....yay!

HTHS!

Mike