Question regarding lye after removing from mold

I measured everything exactly using a basic recipe. I think my wife and I removed the soap from the mold too early! The soap turned dark and looked like gel. Which from what I have been reading is normal. However, after washing my hands with some of the excess soap I still feel a small burning from the lye.

Couple questions:

1. How do you know for sure when to remove the soap from the mold?

2. I balled up some of the excess scraps after cutting the soap I removed from the mold. We removed it 17 hours after pouring it in the PVC molds. I then used the excess soap in water just to see what it would be like. I can still feel a small burning sensation on my hands. Would this be normal? Does the final curing process make it so that when you use the soap it wont have a burning sensation from the lye using the soap?

'5lb Oatmeal Complexion Soap' Recipe SoapMaker v2.8 2007-10-07, 13:28

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Soap Type: Solid Soap Class: Specialty Last Saved: 2007-10-06, 19:42

Recipe Cost: $2.59 Total Weight: 80.0 oz

Cost Per 5 oz Bar: $0.16 Cost per 5 oz Sample: $0.16

_____________________________________________________________________________________

RECIPE DETAILS

QUANTITY ENTERED: CALCULATED: PERCENT:

OILS:

Olive 14.05564 oz 14.06 oz

Coconut 14.05564 oz 14.06 oz

Shortening (US) 22.25476 oz 22.25 oz

50.37 oz 100.0% $2.13

ADDITIVES:

Oatmeal 4.68521 oz 4.69 oz

4.69 oz $0.18

Lye Needed: 7.17 oz - Discounted at: 6%

Water Needed: 17.78 oz (2.13 cps) - Discounted at: 0%

SOAP CHARACTERISTICS

Hardness: 6.6

Fluffy Lather: 4.9

Stable Lather: 5.6

Moisturizing: 5.7

Zap is when you touch your tounge to the soap. If it is lye heavy you will get a burning sensation (simular to touching your tounge to a live battery). I don't like the taste of soap and have a fear of chemical burns on my tounge so I buy PH test strips. Hand made soap tests typically 9.5 to 10.

Your recipe looks fine. Your soap is too fresh to use and probably needs to cure. Let it cure, it will mellow and become less harsh. The normal cure time is 4 to 5 weeks.. Please read the Miller Soap site. It will explaing everything you need to know about soap making. It is a valuable site to read and reread for beginners.

You said it looked like gel? Does it still look that way?

Typically, soap is ready to cut within 12-24 hours. I cut the next day when the soap is back to room temperature.

If you use the soap as soon as it comes out of the mold, that is too early. It can continue to saponify for several more days. To me, that indicates that not all of the free lye is used up immediately. I always wait 3-4 days to test a soap.

Have you read this site www.millersoap.com I highly recommend it. I tell everyone to read that site 3 times before picking up a bottle of lye.

You said it looked like gel? Does it still look that way?

Typically, soap is ready to cut within 12-24 hours. I cut the next day when the soap is back to room temperature.

If you use the soap as soon as it comes out of the mold, that is too early. It can continue to saponify for several more days. To me, that indicates that not all of the free lye is used up immediately. I always wait 3-4 days to test a soap.

Have you read this site www.millersoap.com I highly recommend it. I tell everyone to read that site 3 times before picking up a bottle of lye.

I havent read that specific site but i have read a book (The Soap Book: Simple Herbal Recipes) and a few sites on soapmaking. Oh ya, watched a few videos also. I was suprised to find several free soap making videos online that outlined the entire process.

The process wasn't too bad. I had no issues with mixing lye, oils and combining or getting trace. A few steps I didn't "go by the book". One of them was during mixing soft and hard oils. I heated both oils until the hard melted into the soft. I was able to keep both the lye/water and oils nearly same temp until mixing fairy easy. Purchasing a laser probably helped me with that step. I started mixing the lye into the oil at 110. I think next time im going to wait until 90-100. I havent found any resource with the same mix temp recommendation.

Wooo....no lasers necessary.

I do all of mine at room temperature. Sometimes my lye water is even on the chilled side. Trying all sorts of methods, and asking all sorts of questions, is the best way to learn, in my opinion! :yes:

Donna

Hahah.. i will never go back.. besides I use it now for my candle wax melting.. so much easier.

What's the benifit of mixing at room temp? Once you pour it into the mold doesnt the soap require some heat for the saponification process?

I agree that you understand how to make soap but much of soaping is understanding how it works and why it works. Please, please go read the millersoap.com site. There is tons of helpful info, how's, why's, hints, ideas, safety. You wouldn't use a table saw without understanding how it works, in my opinion, soaping can be just as dangerous. Please take the extra time to learn the basics, not just how to mix it all together.

I agree that you understand how to make soap but much of soaping is understanding how it works and why it works. Please, please go read the millersoap.com site. There is tons of helpful info, how's, why's, hints, ideas, safety. You wouldn't use a table saw without understanding how it works, in my opinion, soaping can be just as dangerous. Please take the extra time to learn the basics, not just how to mix it all together.

OK I WILL lol. :D I know its hard to believe, but I HAVE been reading and reading and reading for WEEKS before even buying materials - how to's, SAFETY, etc. Lot's of info all at once.. sometimes it takes me a bunch of times DOING for stuff to sink in. Also, you can read ALL you want but the hands on is the best way. AT least is is for me. The dangerous part of working with LYE I made learning paramount. Anyway, thanks for your info.

I just love miller soaps. She has got the most info out there for someone who is just starting to make soap. I have been making my own soap for almost 4 years now and she was one of my inspirations. I cannot tell you how many batches of soap i threw out before then. Everytime I make soap, I have little slivers I tongue test just to see if it's done even though I have ph papers. I guess old habits die hard.