Creating my first HP soap batch...

hem06

OK...I failed miserably!

Reached trace with no problems. However, never reached the phase where separation occurs...it went straight to being VERY hard...Let it cook some more...

Arg...

Try again!

You're not there yet. It will get very solid and thick. Then it will start to separate, bubble and climb out of the pot. After that, it will start to come back together and lose some of the opaqueness, looks like gel or vaseline. Almost there! Cook a little more, still it starts going opaque again (the mashed potato stage). Turn off. Add FO, color and stir. You can use the stickblender for the last part.

Good Luck!

e

OK...I failed miserably!

Reached trace with no problems. However, never reached the phase where separation occurs...it went straight to being VERY hard...Let it cook some more...

Arg...

Try again!

Did I mention I love Eugenia?!?

Anyway...it bubbled up. Then was very hard. Never did start to separate, even after cooking for 20 minutes.

No biggie. I rpobably made a mistake. I tried to half a recipe...and just halfed everything, which is probably a big no no! LOL

I didn't want to make a large batch for exactly this reason!

I will try again!

Perhaps I better post my recipe later, to see if it is OK.

You may still not have cooked it enough. Did it ever look like vaseline?

Can you get it into a mold? You can mash it in there if you have to and bang it really hard on the counter to get any air pockets out. You dont have to cover it. Leave it for 24 hours.

Post your recipe. How small a batch? Less than 2 lbs. is tricky as the measurements have to be pretty exacting at that level. There is far less room to err on a batch smaller than 2 lbs.

e

I only have a small crockpot, and the recipe I used did not list the yield. So, I was afraid that I would not have enough room.

My crockpot says it is 2 quarts in English, but lists 2 Litres in French. It is pretty small.

My ingredients were:

lard

canola oil

olive oil

water/lye

I have on hand:

the above

palm oil

small amount of grapeseed oil

I can't use coconut oil, my dh is alergic, same with almond oil.

I have plenty of lye, water, etc. Just not sure how to contruct a recipe based on what I have on hand.

OK, I changed to my bigger crockpot. That was my wax crocker, but my miserable soap from this morning is good enough that it washed wax off!

HOLY COW!

No wonder people make thier own soap. I have cruddy soap and it works better than anything I have ever bought!

That is a small crockpot. When it bubbled, did it look like it might overflow? Here's a thought, try the oven method. You can use any large pot.

http://www.lovenaonline.com/soapmaking/

http://www.teachsoap.com/ohp.html

If you tell us the size of your mold, we can help you come up with an easy recipe.

e

I only have a small crockpot, and the recipe I used did not list the yield. So, I was afraid that I would not have enough room.

My crockpot says it is 2 quarts in English, but lists 2 Litres in French. It is pretty small.