Soapmaker & Premixed Lye

BamBam

So I just recently got Soapmaker Pro and at the same time started pre-mixing my lye. I just want to make sure I'm doing things right. If I want a 33% solution if I use 4 lbs of water to 2 lbs of lye that should give a 33% solution?

Since I've started doing this every batch has turned out weird. Takes forever to trace and is way soft. At the same time I started this I started using a lye from a different supplier and I'm wondering if the lye is a little off.

I use soapmaker and I have it set for pre-mix with what I think is right. If I recall correctly it's set for 2:1 which should be right.

Anyone familiar with it that can answer my probs?

Four pounds of water to two pounds of lye does equal a 33% solution (technically 33.33%, but close enough), so that part is right. That's also a 2:1 ratio, so it seems like that's the right setting for Soapmaker; I'm not really familiar with the program, though, so I can't say for sure.

If you're thinking the problem may be with the lye, why not try a batch figured the way you used to do it, mixing the lye just for that batch instead of using pre-mixed? If that batch comes out OK, you can figure that the problem is with the calculations on the pre-mixed lye. If it also takes a long time to trace and comes out soft, you'll know it wasn't the pre-mix calculations messing up your batches.

I use soapmaker and I have it set for pre-mix with what I think is right. If I recall correctly it's set for 2:1 which should be right.

Anyone familiar with it that can answer my probs?

That is not right, it should be 1:2...the lye comes before the water on Soapmaker. Lye/Water