Do make insurance optional on your website?

I just wanted a little feedback on how many of us offer optional insurance on our websites for those that offer USPS as a shipping selection.

Do you make the customer pay extra or do you cover the cost out of your own pocket?

Do you not insure shipments at all and just take the gamble?

And if you offer the ability to add insurance, if the customer did not purchase it and has a damaged shipment do you replace the broken products anyway?

Last but not least how many of you take the customers word (only applying to USPS shipments) that there is damage? Do your require them to send back the goods or take it to the local post office regardless of insured or no insured for proof?

I have only had a few orders on-line and paid the few dollars.Not anymore and not going to charge or ask if they want insurance.I do buy alot on-line and never been asked DO YOU WANT insurance???

I will take the order, charge for shipping and ship it. Like you mention how do you know if it is broke?Get them to ship back and replace it.

My prices are way to low for me to pay shipping for the order. I get my cost by what people will pay here. That way at shows they see I am not up in price and they might order on-line or call in a order. If they see higher on my site I am sure no local orders. People ask for my shop location.I must think about that. Just hate staying home all day, be opened and no sales and that could happen too.

LynnS