Is it better to have premade bases or making from scratch

nikip

I use pre-made bases......there are some really fabulous bases out there.

I don't have the time to learn/test making my own. It makes my life much easier!

If you are interested in making your own.....check out the BnB recipe section.

There is a bazillion recipes in that section!

Have fun!

There are good bases and crappy bases, and the same goes for stuff made from scratch. It's really a personal preference. You may find you really like having complete control over your ingredients, or you may find it much more convenient to start with a good base, and customize that to your liking. If you put a lot of care and effort into researching and fine-tuning a recipe, that makes all the difference in the world, no matter what you start with.

I'm not confident enough to sell my own lotions and I only just found (what I think is) lye here yesterday after about a year of searching, so I bring in soaps from other people and use Lindsay's (Soaper's Workshop) awesome lotion bases.

On the other hand, I make a mean moisturizing oil that my customers absolutely love, as well as bath and foot soaks, facial masques, facial serums, etc.

The best thing to do would be to... research, research, research! After that comes the best bit... experimenting! Do as much of both as you can, and with that under your belt, you'll find what YOU like best.

When you use lindseys can you sell them as your own with your name. I will have to see what I need to make my own from scratch but I have 3 kids so it may be easier to use a premade. Any other companies with premade that is good.

When you use lindseys can you sell them as your own with your name. I will have to see what I need to make my own from scratch but I have 3 kids so it may be easier to use a premade. Any other companies with premade that is good.

Yep! Lindsay's stuff can be repackaged and sold as your own. Her lotion bases are condensed, so they ship to you with a water discount (less shipping fees!). You reconstitute them with water, according to your liking. Less water means a thicker cream, more water makes lotion. She can also make a custom lotion base for you if you want something that's "all yours" :)

She also has some great lip balm bases. You can get some samples from her to try first!

Other base companies are Bittercreek North... wench has already mentioned Essentials by Catalina... there's Brambleberry, Wholesales Supplies Plus, Oregon Trails... there's a LOT out there. I suggest trying them yourself and seeing what you like. Some prefer a light or waxy lotion, others like a heavier and silkier lotion, so it's best to go with your own instinct.