Anyone ever make a 100% Rice Bran Oil Soap? or any other oil besides olive or coconut

thecandlespastore

I've done 100% RBO, and 80/20 RBO/castor. Wasn't very fond of them at all, and I use a *lot* of RBO in my normal products. Took a long time to cure, still ended up softer than I liked and lather wasn't all that wonderful. It only has 50% of the oleic acid that olive oil has, so you didn't get the oo slime, you didn't get much of anything.

But I'm not into soaps that have to cure a long time - I think I tried it at 2 months and wasn't impressed.

I tried RBO soap too. It was very soft and even after waiting a few months it was still soft. Sort of had a spongy/rubbery feel when I pressed down on it. Finally I decided it was never going to harden and so I used it. It lathered well, and it didn't melt away as quickly as I thought it would for a soap which was not hard. Overall it was a nice soap to use but the spongy feel might be weird to some people, plus it takes forever to firm up. It was several days before I could even get it out of the mold, and then another few days before I could cut it. I won't be making it again.

At least two soaping boards I know of have hosted "single oil soap" swaps in the past. Results were reviewed and posted here for one of them.

The other board appears to have lost its results but members there will still post about their favorites. Sesame (non-toasted), avacado, canola, almond, PKO and lard are all mentioned as good bars, though you need to compensate for the softer oils tendencies toward DOS.

HTH!

At least two soaping boards I know of have hosted "single oil soap" swaps in the past. Results were reviewed and posted here for one of them.

The other board appears to have lost its results but members there will still post about their favorites. Sesame (non-toasted), avacado, canola, almond, PKO and lard are all mentioned as good bars, though you need to compensate for the softer oils tendencies toward DOS.

HTH!

Thanks for that link, wonderful resource!

• 3 months later...

HTH!

great site, helps alot to make decisions.