craftsman classic

anyone goin to the craftsman fall classic in roanoke virginia?

The Craftsmen's Fall Classic Arts and Crafts Festival will take

place October 12-14, returning to the area with more than 250 of the

nation's finest artists and craftsmen, presenting thousands of their

original works in such specialties as pottery, wood, fine art,

jewelry, stained glass, furniture, baskets, toys and many others.

Consistently voted one of the best arts and crafts shows in the

country, the Roanoke Classic is part of a series of award-winning

events produced by Gilmore Shows, throughout Virginia and the two

Carolinas, for more than three decades.

:D

I've attended several that are held at the Myrtle Bch Convention Center. They are packed with customers spending lots of money. The items offered are very good quality. I don't get out of there without dropping a bit myself.

I would love to one day be a vendor instead of a shopper, but I'm surely not there yet! The fees and requirements are just out of my reach at this time. Also, as slow as I am, I'd have to work all year making stuff just for that. For the past couple of years, I've noticed that the same 3 soap/candle vendors are there and appear to sell tons. Guess that's why they keep coming back. More than likely, some of the same ones would be at the Roanoke show since a couple of them are from NC.

I would be curious to see how this show does. I do some of the Events Management shows and actually taking off this year due to time restraints. I keep in contact with many crafters that do the same big shows as I do and so far the shows they have done this year, just are not doing well. Of course they aren't candle people, but these people usually do extremely well. The only people that are giving me good reports back are those that do food and I still have issues with that since they are all made in factories.

I attended a festival last week and noticed that the consumers were there, just no one was buying. Spoke with some crafters there that I know from past years doing smaller shows and they were having difficulty making the booth fee. This was a 3 day event and the booth fee was under $ 100.00 which is nothing. I was stunned to hear them not even selling that much.

As far as the shows like this one in Roanoke, there is no doubt they get the people in, but when you go, you better be prepared to have your inventory made up and your prices set right. If you have that, you got it made in the shade.