Whipped Shea question

kidsngarden

I keep mine whipped by adding a tad bit more oils to it... or cyclo. I don't measure, so I can't help ya there... but try adding maybe a teaspoon/tablespoon of oil/cyclo at a time and whip... it takes me a couple of days sometimes... I usually let it sit overnight.... then check the consistency the next morning. If it's still too stiff... I add more oils/cyclo then whip some more. I keep checking it during the day to see how the texture is... until it is to my liking.

I do know, in my experience, that it depends on the type of shea I'm using. Some suppliers' shea's are more harder... some are more soft and smooth. To me, the harder the shea... the harder it is to get the consistency and texture I'm looking for, even when melting.

The harder shea thing makes sense. MMS shea is really hard and very white - I've almost thought they had made a mistake and gave me deo cocoa butter sometimes - but the texture isn't THAT hard. But Brambleberries shea is very soft so I bet it will work a lot better. My first batch was MMS - today will be brambleberry - we shall see.

Does anyone know if soaper's choice refined shea is soft or hard?

Bethany

The harder shea thing makes sense. MMS shea is really hard and very white - I've almost thought they had made a mistake and gave me deo cocoa butter sometimes - but the texture isn't THAT hard. But Brambleberries shea is very soft so I bet it will work a lot better. My first batch was MMS - today will be brambleberry - we shall see.

Does anyone know if soaper's choice refined shea is soft or hard?

Bethany

I know about MMS shea. LOL To me... this is rock hard. I just couldn't work with their shea. I started getting my shea from Texas Natural Supply. They have THE softest shea out there. They sell refined, unrefined, and natural "raw" shea. I usually get all three. But I only use the natural "raw" shea with CP cause this one has a REALLY bad smokey smell. I use the refined and unrefined for whipped butters and such.

I like keeping it as a foot butter balm or body balm instead of whipping it. But, when I did manage to whip it once, I had to whip forever. I can't say how long but basically I used the freezer 2min then whipped 2min and repeat until done.:D