BW Taper Wick Problems

Henryk

So I used to use flats with my BW tapers for the last couple of years. Haven't made any recently so a while back I started making them again and went with squares this time to test. Both types are giving me problems.

So I figured I'd post to see if any one else has this issue? ...

2/0 is not trimming - at all - every other hour it seems I have trim this. So I went to 3/0 and its curling way to much besides needing trimming. So, went to the flats as I have always used before. 21 dripping, 24 dripping, 27 dripping, 30 dripping!

:angry2:

This is with both the white and yellow. No additives. I've always used BW from two places but one is now no longer selling it and what I'm using now I've never had a problem with in the past. I have some of the other places but its all made into pillars - I supposed I could melt one down to test it but I'm so discouraged I may just shelve this for the moment.

Is it the wax? I'm using the same stash of flats and braids from a couple years back - could that be the issue? I've NEVER had so many problems with this.

Thanks for any suggestions.

• 1 month later...

Just updating this after a process of elimination. Turns out it was the wax but mostly one color (the other wasn't too bad) from one vendor that was giving me issues. Since checking back through notes, turns out the ones that were giving me issues where either made completely with the one color - or where a mix of two or a mix of bayberry wax. Once I eliminated that one variable, everything worked out.