Jar candle question & Hello to Everyone!

Hi to Everyone!

I'm new to the community & need your help. I've been making soy container candles for about 3 yrs. I love the primitive containers with rusty lids & I've seen jar candles in the primitive craft shops that look almost like the jar might have been coated with a brown coloring different than the candle color to make them look old or rustic. Is anyone following me or am I not making sense!:D

Does anyone know how to get this look?? :tongue2: I will be forever grateful as I'm getting ready for the fall craft shows!

Hi,

I've never tried this yet, was going to with tin cans but had too much to do for a craft fair I'm doing this Saturday.

That being said, I've heard of different things- rolling the jars in glue then rolling them in cinnamon...

Sticking them in the oven to make them brown (tins).

I saw some textured spray paint at the hardware store that intrigued me, might try it sometimes. It comes in multiple colors, like a rust color, greens, reds, etc...

Hope someone else has actually done this stuff so they can help more!

Violet

After doing tons and tons of research on this process I finally got it.

Supplies:

Cheap School Glue (the white stuff)

Small bowls (I use styrofoam)

1" natural bristel paint brush (I cut some of the ends off to make it shorter and stiffer)

Ground cinnamon (go to the Dollar Store)

Ground nutmeg (go to the Dollar Store) This makes it even darker.

Set your oven at about 200 degrees.

Pour glue into bowl and mix in the cinnamon and nutmeg. You want it almost to a paste consistency. If too thin, the mixture will start to run down the jar.

Now start painting your jars! I hold by the jar opening and get to painting.

Sit on cookie sheet (jar opening on the bottom). Bake ~ keeping an eye on them. Sometimes it takes about 10 minutes or so to set the mix onto the jar. Times may vary depending on your oven. Also note that the outsides may look "done" but depending on how thick you coat the jars,it may take a little longer in the oven or just sitting out.

Remove from oven and let cool. Very cool looking with rust lid or like I did, the vintage ball jar lids with the milk glass insert. Very prim looking!

I gave up doing them because it's very time consuming and couldn't make them fast enough for orders. I work full time too! LOL

I hope this helps you out:)

Carrie