Developing Colors

Hello! How do you test to find the color you want? I am just starting out - I've made one eggnog candle that has been curing for 3 days, a few plain tealights, and just poured a couple of apple jack & peel containers along with tealights. For the eggnog, I used 1 drop of ivory dye in 8 oz of ecosoya wax and I'm pretty happy with the color. Today, I used 5 drops of burgundy in 16 fl oz and my color is much more pink than I was hoping for. I think it'll be a great color for other FOs but not an apple one.

Do you test dyes in non FO candles to find the general color you want and then just fix as needed if the FO changes the color at all? Do you just pour a new scent like I did and guess and then tweak from there? I assume the more you play with color the better idea you have of how many drops will give you certain colors. I'm making notes so I know that'll help, I'm just curious what your methodology is to help prevent candles that play color/smell mind games!

Thanks!

Jen

There are usually some soda cans hanging around my work table, so I drip several drops of colored wax onto the silver bottom and allow it to completely cool to check the color. Some folks use white paper plates.

Because soy wax is white and opaque, deep colors may need a little more dye or a few drops of black or dark brown, depending on the dye & concentration used.

5 drops of burgundy in 16 oz. of wax wouldn't cut the mustard with the dyes that I use either! ;) I probably would have started with 10, but one has to get a feel for the dyes one is using to know how much to begin with... Use the drip test - it works! The final shade will be a little darker or more vibrant in appearance than the drip because there is more of it. With soy wax and dyes, less is better, so try to use as little as possible to achieve the shade you want.

As far as testing, I test each wax/dye/FO combination in each different size/shape container.

I wait about a week before testing so that if there are early frosting issues, I will know by that time. HTH :D