Glass glow and clamshells?

Also consider that the melt point of the glass glow is 144...which is higher than the soy. So it may not melt in some burners that have a bowl a good distance away from the tealight or in some small wattage electric melters.

There was another thread on the subject - can't find it now!

If you plan to pour palm wax into clamshells, I think it may warp/melt the plastic if you are pouring at the temps recommended for palm wax.

I have made palm wax tarts for my personal use, but the heat required for them to melt properly is considerably higher than for soy wax. Never had one smoke, though... I prefer soy wax for tarts/melts.

If the wax you are using recommends allowing it to cure for maximum FO throw, then, yes, I sure would do that.

I saw this posted the other day so I threw a little tart I had made from my glass glow in my melter, lit it and it burned quite nicely for several hours. It was the strongest scent in the kitchen, and that is saying something because it wasn't really scented (no color, either)- I had made some chardonnay containers with GG and then had a bit left over, so I threw some votive wax (soy) into the mix, remelted and poured it into a votive mold and a tart mold. So I really didn't scent it other than the tiny bit that had been left over. As for the look, it looked very nice. But, I do have to say that I was using metal molds and not clamshells. Stella's right- you have to pour hot to get the desired look.

I tried using an ice cube tray last night (plastic)on top of a cooling rack. I mixed the glass glow with votive wax again, half and half. Heated to 200, put in jade dye (dye block) and an ounce of balsam fir. Mixed, then poured. I was afraid that the plastic would melt, but it didn't. I had a bit extra, so I poured into votive molds.

A few hours later, came back and those notorious air pockets showed up. They looked like someone had taken a square tool and punched a hole into the top.

When I took the tarts out, the crystal pattern was there, but barely. The ones in the votive mold had very pretty patterns, though. I think the metal lets the wax cool slower.

I wouldn't try to pour into a clamshell, though- it would probably melt. The plastic isn't as thick as an ice cube tray and they say to pour wax into clamshells at 150 or below and you have to pour palm wax much hotter, like Stella said on here, in order to get the desired look.

I do have one question, though. How do you wick the votives? I tried using the same wicks I use for my soy votives and while it worked, it burned really super hot. I then tried an HTP 52. That burned way too cool and the flame was almost non-existent. Will it be possible to wick them, considering that they are half soy and half palm?

I had some extra glass glow left from a batch of candles and I did pour it in a clamshell. It didn't melt the clamshell BUT after about 2 weeks, the plastic thinned out quite a bit and lost its shape where the blocks were. I would like to think the only reason that happened is the higher heat broke down some of the plastic.

I have no problems with palm tarts in electric burners but I use the fluted metal tart molds to make them now.

Ok, well I made some. I made them like usual, but I waited to pour until the wax cooled a little bit (around 110 F). It didn't melt the clamshell.:D

I'm going to let them cure at least a week and we'll see how they throw. They still look pretty too, even though I poured at a low temp.

Has anyone tried using glass glow to make tarts? I'm going to make some today, but just curious if anyone else has tried it?

Oh...do you still need to let tarts cure?

#1 Glass Glow is a container wax and not a pillar/votive/tart wax. You won't be able to get them out of the clamshell do to the adhesion to the sides. With palm wax there are no wet spots. which I love by the way!

I saw this posted the other day so I threw a little tart I had made from my glass glow in my melter, lit it and it burned quite nicely for several hours. It was the strongest scent in the kitchen, and that is saying something because it wasn't really scented (no color, either)- I had made some chardonnay containers with GG and then had a bit left over, so I threw some votive wax (soy) into the mix, remelted and poured it into a votive mold and a tart mold. So I really didn't scent it other than the tiny bit that had been left over. As for the look, it looked very nice. But, I do have to say that I was using metal molds and not clamshells. Stella's right- you have to pour hot to get the desired look.

I tried using an ice cube tray last night (plastic)on top of a cooling rack. I mixed the glass glow with votive wax again, half and half. Heated to 200, put in jade dye (dye block) and an ounce of balsam fir. Mixed, then poured. I was afraid that the plastic would melt, but it didn't. I had a bit extra, so I poured into votive molds.

A few hours later, came back and those notorious air pockets showed up. They looked like someone had taken a square tool and punched a hole into the top.

When I took the tarts out, the crystal pattern was there, but barely. The ones in the votive mold had very pretty patterns, though. I think the metal lets the wax cool slower.

I wouldn't try to pour into a clamshell, though- it would probably melt. The plastic isn't as thick as an ice cube tray and they say to pour wax into clamshells at 150 or below and you have to pour palm wax much hotter, like Stella said on here, in order to get the desired look.

I do have one question, though. How do you wick the votives? I tried using the same wicks I use for my soy votives and while it worked, it burned really super hot. I then tried an HTP 52. That burned way too cool and the flame was almost non-existent. Will it be possible to wick them, considering that they are half soy and half palm?

I use ice cube trays for my melts and they have an awesome crystal pattern. Once in a while I get an air hole but my customers says it doesn't bother them. I sell out every week and now I feel like I am mass producing them. :D

Every fragrance I have has an excellent hot scent throw in them and trust me I tested these babies extensively and so has my friends. Not once did they say they smoked! (I was a happy camper!)