Question about palm oils

littysmom

Hi, I have a new recipe to try. It has 2 types of Palm in it. Palm oil and PKO.

I thought that they were the same , and you could substitued one for the other. Is this an error in the recipe, or do they each have different qualities. When I have a recipe that calls for Palm, I use PKO or Palm oil whatever is handiest. :undecided

Thanks Lisa

They do have very different properties. Palm oil is soft . It moisturizes and is from the fruit of the palm tree. Pko is from the nut of the palm (seeds of the fruit) It is harder and makes the soap harder and adds to the lather. They are not interchangable. If you are interchanging them in a recipe make sure you use the soapcal to get the soap you want and your correct numbers for the lye solution.

Ok now I understand. I do use the soap cal for all recipes that I try. So far my numbers have been ok. I have just been lucky I guess. Boy do I feel DUMB. Thanks for explaining that. When I went to the soapcal, i did see the difference in the numbers, now I I have a better understanding of their seperate qualities.

Lisa