New lightbox pics

I made a lightbox that was so easy to make, I just need to tweek the lighting, I dont have enough. I wish I could have made the box smaller too. This will do since I am very small time and my camera sucks. (I never claimed to have any photography skills:undecided ) Anyway, these products are for my autumn swap(spoiler I know)

soappics008-1.jpg

soappics007.jpg

your products are lovely. :D

As for the lighting for the box i'm going to Lowes this weekend to pick up "Westinghouse Spike-a-Lights" (they come with both flange and spike bases, figure use the flange atached to a scrap of wood, about $5 ea.) to go with the light box I made yesterday.

I will try that. My lights I was using just didnt have enough surround lighting.I will have to try some of those floodlight type things. As far as the flash, hmmm I dont think I even know how to turn it off:o

I have the same problem with the ambient lighting in my kitchen, which is surprising since my hubby has 75 watts of light right above the table I took the picture at. That was a compromise, he wanted to put 3 60 watt bulbs in (180 watts). Maybe I should have let him… :laugh2:

What kind of camera is it? Maybe someone else here has one and can tell you how to turn the flash off. Mine (a cannon) has a little lighting rod on the button for the flash.

This is where we flutter our eyelashes, look innocently perplexed and go, "Honey, could you do this for me?"

you must be a young newly wed... after a decade or two of marraige it takes a lot more than fluttering eyelashes to get thier attention! Ergo... i made my own light box. He promised me to make me one over a month ago. that was right after I finally made the loaf mold he had promised to make a month before that...

Try buying daylight light bulbs. What camera do you have? Try taking your exposure composition on your camera to .5 or 1.0, and change the light setting to tungsten. If you need any help let me know:D

Thank you... I just spent the last hour and a half learning to use my little canon power shot. I now know how to change exposure and light settings (first you have to take it off auto). Only had it since Christmas... I guess it's about time I learned to use the silly thing! Thank you very much. This board is great. In offering advice to elitenaildesign you've also helped me and who knows how many more! This is great!:D

you must be a young newly wed... after a decade or two of marraige it takes a lot more than fluttering eyelashes to get thier attention! Ergo... i made my own light box. He promised me to make me one over a month ago. that was right after I finally made the loaf mold he had promised to make a month before that...

:laugh2: We're in our twenties. My DH sounds like yours, so I usually end up making my own things too. Either age doesn't matter or I'm doing something wrong! Here I was thinking it was just mine. Men. Pah.

I got the flash off although I dont know how I did it. Its a Kodak Easyshare C743. It did make a difference, but I still need to get more lighting. G.A, or anyone, do you know what wattage of bulbs is needed for those floodlights?

100 watts will be ok. I have a Kodak DX6440 Easyshare, love my little Kodak!

I have a Kodak DX6440 Easyshare, love my little Kodak

That must be a way better model than mine. It takes terrible pics, unless its the operator.:tongue2: I could never get any good pics at my sons baseball games this summer. Once I would try to take the pic, he would be half way to the next base before it would flash. It takes terrible night pis too. Someday I hope I can splurge on a really nice Nikon

We're in our twenties. My DH sounds like yours, so I usually end up making my own things too. Either age doesn't matter or I'm doing something wrong! Here I was thinking it was just mine. Men. Pah.

You better get busy and make that light box then. If you wait on him it will never happen!

100 watts will be ok. I have a Kodak DX6440 Easyshare, love my little Kodak!

100 watts? Won’t that like burn your retinas out? I was thinking of 50 watt daylight bulbs. I don’t claim to know anything about photography, so am really asking, not arguing. I was thinking 150 watts of light pointed directly into the box would be very bright… also I’m concerned about the heat produced by 300 watts. Will it melt the plastic I used to make my light box with? (I used plastic grocery bags).

I got the flash off although I dont know how I did it. Its a Kodak Easyshare C743. It did make a difference, but I still need to get more lighting. G.A, or anyone, do you know what wattage of bulbs is needed for those floodlights?

I found the manual for your camera (I loved my Kodak but hubby decided I needed a new camera). Click on “4 Doing more with your camera”. It explains how to turn the flash on and off and how to adjust the exposure. I couldn’t find anything in it about the lighting (setting my camera to tungsten has made a huge difference).

You better get busy and make that light box then. If you wait on him it will never happen!

100 watts? Won’t that like burn your retinas out? I was thinking of 50 watt daylight bulbs. I don’t claim to know anything about photography, so am really asking, not arguing. I was thinking 150 watts of light pointed directly into the box would be very bright… also I’m concerned about the heat produced by 300 watts. Will it melt the plastic I used to make my light box with? (I used plastic grocery bags).

I found the manual for your camera (I loved my Kodak but hubby decided I needed a new camera). Click on “4 Doing more with your camera”. It explains how to turn the flash on and off and how to adjust the exposure. I couldn’t find anything in it about the lighting (setting my camera to tungsten has made a huge difference).

For me 100 watts is the only thing that really produces a bright enough light for crisp clear pictures. The box can get hot if you use it for a long period of time. I don't know about melting plastic if it is not directly touching the plastic.

For me 100 watts is the only thing that really produces a bright enough light for crisp clear pictures

Are you talking about flood lights or regular bulbs, or maybe there isnt a difference.

You by far have the best products I've tried from anyone I have received items from

Oh, wow, I am totally flattered. That just made my day!!! Thank you!

I'll give him a few more days to surprise me... he's promised to do some other chores as well :laugh2:

EDIT: Haha, DH says he wants to make me a "sturdier" one. I'll see how that pans out!

Maybe you could try tracing/rice paper, if the grocery bags are removable? They're less likely to melt. If you're using the plastic bags, you probably won't be able to play for too long with it.

I'll give him a few more days to surprise me... he's promised to do some other chores as well :laugh2:

EDIT: Haha, DH says he wants to make me a "sturdier" one. I'll see how that pans out!

Maybe you could try tracing/rice paper, if the grocery bags are removable? They're less likely to melt. If you're using the plastic bags, you probably won't be able to play for too long with it.

On the tracing/rice paper… Yes, the plastic is removable. I decided they needed to be so when they wear out I can replace them but…I have a cat. Not just any cat, I have Neelix. 22 lbs of canis feline (he thinks he’s a large dog). All boxes belong to the cat, and fine paper won’t last 10 minutes around him. I have given up even using wrapping paper on gifts. We are already fighting over the light box, he likes to jump in it and jump out the “windows” like a jack-in-the-box to scare his canine sister. Paper won’t survive that, though it’s a good suggestion.

On hubby making you a sturdier light box... don't hold your breath unless you ook good in blue if he's anything like mine... why do we keep them? Oh yeah, we love them!:P

On the tracing/rice paper… Yes, the plastic is removable. I decided they needed to be so when they wear out I can replace them but…I have a cat. Not just any cat, I have Neelix. 22 lbs of canis feline (he thinks he’s a large dog). All boxes belong to the cat, and fine paper won’t last 10 minutes around him. I have given up even using wrapping paper on gifts. We are already fighting over the light box, he likes to jump in it and jump out the “windows” like a jack-in-the-box to scare his canine sister. Paper won’t survive that, though it’s a good suggestion.

On hubby making you a sturdier light box... don't hold your breath unless you ook good in blue if he's anything like mine... why do we keep them? Oh yeah, we love them!:P

Ahhh... cats... I love my cat too, but through liberal use of a water-spray bottle he has learned that the dining table is off-limits :laugh2: Nothing else works, he just thinks I'm playing otherwise! When we're eating he liked hopping up onto a chair and meowing, then when we're not looking he jumps up and digs into our dinner. That was something we really had to curb since 1, it's OUR dinner, he's got plenty of kibble, 2, sometimes we eat things like salted chicken (Chinese dish), which would upset his tummy.

Maybe you could try only putting the tracing/rice paper on just before you start shooting? It should be pretty easy to make something with those huge black office paperclips so it's easy to attach and remove.

Ahhh... cats... I love my cat too, but through liberal use of a water-spray bottle he has learned that the dining table is off-limits :laugh2: Nothing else works, he just thinks I'm playing otherwise! When we're eating he liked hopping up onto a chair and meowing, then when we're not looking he jumps up and digs into our dinner. That was something we really had to curb since 1, it's OUR dinner, he's got plenty of kibble, 2, sometimes we eat things like salted chicken (Chinese dish), which would upset his tummy.

Maybe you could try only putting the tracing/rice paper on just before you start shooting? It should be pretty easy to make something with those huge black office paperclips so it's easy to attach and remove.

Neelix likes the spray bottle. It's one of his favorite games. He also likes flushing the toilet and playing in my bath water. He also likes the vacuume and almost lost a paw one day trying to play in the garbage disposal (I turned, saw him, screamed and grabbed him in the nick of time. I now ALWAYS cover the sink with a plastic strainer before I turn it on). He is very good about staying off the table, and only gets on the counters when I'm makeing something and he wants to watch. He sits at a respectful distance, like he's supervising. Never touches food that doesnt belong to him.

Boxes are a different story. It took me almost two hours to put the plastic on Saterday as I had to keep removeing him from the box and replace the plastic. It is not an experence I want to repeat often. And the sound of rustleing paper gets him instantly wound up. Nope... paper wont work... oh, I didnt mention his canine sister (a 65 lb sharpei) is afraid of paper, probabaly why he loves it so much.

I'm going to try the 100 watt bulbs, but I'll pick up some 50 watt bulbs just in case.