Does this happen to you?

littysmom

Am I adding to much colorant? When I use a white wash cloth with some of my soaps, it discolors the cloth. However, it does come clean in the wash. I was wondering if if this is normal. I am using mostly oxides and or spices ect.

Haven't really sold any soaps to the public, mostly my family. They have inquired about the same thing. I have tried using less, but no matter what I come up with the same problem, with a lighter variation. :undecided . Anyway just wondering if this is normal. If I do decide to sell soap what should I tell ppl in advance.???

Thanks for looking, hope someone can help clear this one up for me.

Thanks Lisa

It can easily happen with red oxide; I only tried that a couple of times, because it seemed that just about any amount was enough to make red or at least pink lather.

How much colorant are you using per pound of oils? The only time I've had any color on the washcloth from black oxide was when I used too much in a dark swirl. Usually I just use a bit of black to darken other colors, and that's never caused a problem. And I've never had problems with the greens (chromium oxide or hydrated chromium oxide), even with very rich colors -- but it doesn't take much to get strong color with those, especially the hydrated chromium oxide.

One other possibility is that if the soap is soft, from not drying out well between uses or something, a bit more soap might rub off on the washcloth when it's used.

I do try to make sure my colors don't come off on the washcloth, but I agree with the other posts that as long as the color washes out, it isn't really a problem.

Thanks all. I must be adding to much. The one particular soap in question was with using the red oxide. I also have used the green oxides and had the same problem. How much should I be adding pp of oils?

When i used the red oxide, I made a raspberry swirl and topped it in the mold with about a half an inch of the all red (which causes streaking) :undecided

Sometime later today I must take pictures and show you the soaps in question.

Thanks Lisa

Here is one of the bars using red oxide, the tiny flecks in the soap are ground oats and chamomile. Its an awsome bar, just need to figure the colorant amts to avoid the streaks and dye on the WC. Sure do hate to have to warn ppl about it, even if it does wash out.

Thanks Lisa

post-4941-139458432799_thumb.jpg

I use just 1/3 teaspoon of the chromium green oxide per pound of oils to get a rich green. The hydrated chromium green takes even less; I think 1/4 teaspoon PPO will give a nice teal. I don't know how low you'd need to go with red oxide to prevent colored lather or washcloths, since I gave up on that one.

This is a soap made with chromium green at 1/3 teaspoon PPO, with a bit of black oxide added to the green for the swirl:

post-3541-139458432835_thumb.jpg