Question about using a school logo.

jgcurtis1961

I have a wholesale account who just requested a double colored candle from me with their local high schools logo and their school colors. She wants to have them in her store in time for homecoming.

Have any of you here done something like that and do you know the legalities of it. Is it allright to use a school logo on your candle label? I e-mailed her back and asked if she has permission to use the school logo, because neigher of us need a lawsuit.

The idea of pouring a candle like that does sound like a good idea to me. I can see the potential to sell a bunch. :)

I don't think any school can prevent you from using their colors, but the logo could be a different story. I would contact the high school or the board of education regarding its use.

Some schools contract with select companies to permit the legal use of their name and logo in manufacturing jerseys, notebooks, etc., which they use as their own fundraiser.

You're wise to double check on this.

I think your reply to her was spot on. Colors are fine - no legal issues I can see. However, the logo is probably a private domaine and not used without the school's permission. And if this is an order for her shop she should work it out with the school. Good decision, jgcurtis!

Thanks for your replies. Yes, that is kinda what I thought. I thought there might be some legal issues with using the school logo. She said she has another candle maker who currently does it for her, but she charges more for her candles then I do. The other candle maker might be fine with making a candle with the school logo and her name on it but I'm just not comfortable using the logo without the ok from the school itself. It also seems to me that if we are going to be using the school logo that the school should get some profit from the sale of the candles. I'll let you all know what kind of reply that I get from my wholesale account regarding the e-mail I sent her.

In my former job as a media production assistant in a school system I was asked this questions, many...many...times! You will need to obtain permission from the school system - usually the school principal is sufficient - to use their logo - I would get it in writing. If you use it without permission you run the risk of having all the goods you make with the copyright seized by the school system. Good Luck!

I have seen principals approve it many times, but in most cases it was for non-profit fundraising items, and not so someone else could make money off the items. But I have seen companies take the colors and the name of the mascot and use them without permission - on bears, ballons and stuff like that - for example a bear dressed up like a football player in the local high school's colors and the mascot's name on the front of the jersey - like a lion or wildcat.