Soap Maker Envy?

MochaMama

I have been on the board since August 2006 and have learned so much from here. I have read the rants and raves about folks who have worked making soap, candles, b&b etc., handed them out to friends to test then bam! the next thing you know, these friends are opening their own business!

Well, well, well, it's my turn now.:laugh2: I handed out some samples and the next thing you know, someone I know is going to make soap too. Only not melt and pour..... she is going to "rebatch" because she wants a more natural soap. She also wants soap w/more lather. Sigh......I take it as a sign of flattery for my little melt and pour soaps.

Just thought I'd share - I'm not even upset about it because I've (unfortunately) read too many stories about the same thing happening to folks here.

Hey don't worry, you are steps ahead of them, and your product will only get better and more creative. They think its easy, and most times, people do not have the passion for it. They do it once and well then it isn't fun for them anymore. Have a blast.

Well, let me tell ya, I cant do M&P to save my life! I tried it several times and they always looked hideous.

I never thought I would ever make CP soap. I resisted for about a yr or so then one day, with the help of cindym (on speaker phone) and Lizzy (email) I jumped in and did it. Now I love it. Still rarely use it...but love doing it. ....YES! I use soap, I just dont like bar soap:p

Is there a reason you dont want to do CP? To me it is cheaper than M&P...although you can use just about and FO and be way more creative with M&P. C'mon...give it a try. MUCH better than REBATCHING!

Well, let me tell ya, I cant do M&P to save my life! I tried it several times and they always looked hideous.

I never thought I would ever make CP soap. I resisted for about a yr or so then one day, with the help of cindym (on speaker phone) and Lizzy (email) I jumped in and did it. Now I love it. Still rarely use it...but love doing it. ....YES! I use soap, I just dont like bar soap:p

Is there a reason you dont want to do CP? To me it is cheaper than M&P...although you can use just about and FO and be way more creative with M&P. C'mon...give it a try. MUCH better than REBATCHING!

Kimberly:

I am not rebatching:shocked2: , it's my so-called friend, who decided that since my MP soaps look so good (her words) that she was going to do one better and do rebatching.

I do MP because it's easier (and safer) for me to do with three little ones under five at home :grin2: , plus I like the "instant gratification" MP offers. If it doesn't turn out right, I'll know in five hours! CP folks have the patient of saints to wait for a month (and sometimes longer) to see if the soap hangs tough - I take my hat off to you all!

Maybe one day I'll try CP.....it does look interesting!

Someone else wanting to share in the fun of soap making shouldn't be considered a bad thing and I certainly wouldn't lose a friendship over it lol. Now, if you have a b&b line and she started to blatantly copy everything from your products right down to your labeling then I can see being upset. But simple soapmaking, no way.

I had a neighbor who became a good friend to me while we lived in Germany and at that time I only did mp soaps (now I have delved into cphp cause I turned myself off of cp after my first try and the fiasco that ensued lol) and that gave her a spark of interest in soapmaking! I thought it was great because she actually went above and beyond anything I could imagine with cp soap to EVEN include rendering her own fat lol!

The local butcher thought she was nuts when she went in asking for all his fat :laugh2: !

It's also no big deal if they want to pursue their new found interest as a soapmaking business as well. We don't have the corner market on soapmaking and I say the more the merrier! I love looking at everyone's soaps as they all look completely different and unique.

JMO but I say is her getting interested in soapmaking like you are something to lose a friendship over? That is something you have to come to terms with but I say it's not worth it, especially if you are doing different things,.

Angi